Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help to shut down radiator

Options
Hi guys,

I've recently relocated from Europe to US, San Francisco. I didn't know much about heating system there, except to bleed radiators occasionally, and I know next to nothing about heating systems in the US. Couple of days ago heating started in my building and my problem started with it. I live in a very small studio, so I have only one radiator, pic attached. It is unbelievably hot and the vent make a loud hissing noise blowing hot air, almost steam. Sleeping is out of the question when it works (I still haven't caught up to the on/off timing) so I spent most of last night investigating the issue online, in part on this website.

It is my understanding that this is a steam system. I should be able to turn it on or off via the valve on the left side of it, but I think the handle is not connected to the actual valve - I can turn it in either side indefinitely. I understand valve is not meant to be a thermostat so I want it shut tight, but looks like it's not going to happen. The air vent on the right, the hoffman #40 if I'm not mistaken, also appear to be broken. It is my understanding that it should let the air out as steam comes to the radiator but then shut itself close. This one is hissing all the time loudly, blowing hot air, almost steam, fast. Can someone confirm that my understanding of the situation is correct or let me know if I'm mistaken?

People are suggesting to turn the vent pointing down, in my case it still blows air and starts to drip. Others suggest to plug it with tape or chewing gum. Is this safe way to turn the radiator off? I'm ready to try that on my own. I wouldn't try to replace the air vent on my own even though I can see on youtube it's simple enough. I don't want to go against my rent agreement and also the valve is not working so that sounds potentially dangerous to me if something goes wrong and I break in the threading or something.

I'm trying to contact my landlord and do this properly but I need a solution in the mean time. The irony is that I'm pretty sure no one needs heating in SF right now...
image.jpg 1006.3K

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It sounds like the pressure is way to high on that boiler or there isn't enough venting on the Mains in the building. That Vent on the side of the radiator should be easy to switch out but you need to do it when the boiler is not running. You can plug the hole in the top of it with a toothpick or anything that will hold. Gum won't work. Try turning it upside down and tapping it. It sounds like the mechnism on the inside is stuck open.The valve that just turns is obviously broken and the Landlord should fix that too.
  • Nemanjakovac
    Nemanjakovac Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Fred, thanks for a very fast response. I'll find a way to plug it, my main concern is safety since the studio is small and the bed is right besides the radiator. So plugging it is safe way to turn off the radiator?

And it is ok to replace the air vent even if I can't shut down the valve providing I do it when the boiler is not running?

Thanks again man, I'm in a real pickle here :)
  • Fred
    Options
    Plugging it is ok but you won't get any steam into that radiator after that until you take the plug out. Yes, it is OK to replace that vent with the valve on as long as you make sure the boiler isn't running.
  • Nemanjakovac
    Options
    TBH I don't think I need heating at all since I almost only sleep over in the apartment.

Landlord sent a guy just now. He doesn't speak a word of english (except OK :) but he dismantled the handle and turned the valve hopefully shut with a wrench. If that does not do the trick I'll proceed with plugging operation.

Thanks again for the tips, you sir, and this website, rock!
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Maybe you could get your landlord to read this site and get the system working properly. They could be easy and fairly inexpensive changes that could save a lot of money.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Nemanjakovac
    Options
    Man I don't even know who is my landlord. An agent showed me and rented me the place, another company takes the rent but does not manage the property, and the phone of the supposedly managing company is disconnected. And there is this nice guy who shows up but knows one word of english. I'm yet to encounter a neighbor who is not chineese...

It has been interesting experience so far :)
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    If you can get through to the management company, they should be pleased to know that they could reduce their fuel consumption by at least 1/3. This would be after performing some simple maintenance. Californians are usually concerned with lowering the carbon footprint.
    However, maybe the rents are so high, that they do not care how much fuel they burn!
    "Only in America"--NBC
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options

Man I don't even know who is my landlord. An agent showed me and rented me the place, another company takes the rent but does not manage the property, and the phone of the supposedly managing company is disconnected. And there is this nice guy who shows up but knows one word of english. I'm yet to encounter a neighbor who is not chineese...

It has been interesting experience so far :)

You can also try covering the radiator with a blanket to cut down on it's heat output.
  • Nemanjakovac
    Options
    The heat is just half of the problem, the other half beeing sound. Unfortunately it's even worse now, in addition to hissing there is another sound I'm not sure how to define... Maybe like a sound of running an old shopping cart...
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options

The heat is just half of the problem, the other half beeing sound. Unfortunately it's even worse now, in addition to hissing there is another sound I'm not sure how to define... Maybe like a sound of running an old shopping cart...

Expansion noise? Water? Loose/rattling shutoff valve?
  • ww
    ww Member Posts: 282
    Options
    if the handle on the valve is spinning take it off and use a vise grip in place of handle...turn it very gently and not too much to work it loose if stuck...if that works you can turn off the valve...don't go low on the shaft or you will chew it up. also i wonder if the packing nut is too tight..you can loosen that first before attempting to turn the valve with the vise grip.

as far as the vent you have to see if you can spin it off..if so soak it in vinegar and water..if the heat comes up when it is off and the steam has a lot of pressure then there is a problem with the steam pressure and it has to be adjusted at the boiler.

• Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    Options
    Sometimes when you shut a radiator almost off, steam can trickle in (because it's under pressure) but water can't drain back out. Possibly the guy didn't sut it all the way, so now you have burbling of incoming steam through the puddle of water at the bottom of the radiator.

I had to do this in my old house, the super kept the heat higher than I wanted it, so I shut off some radiators, but the one in my bedroom had a leaky shut-off valve. I had to open it every couple days to let the water drain back out, or it would fill up and start fountaining out the vent.
  • Fred
    Options

Do this, since you don't need heat anyway, go to the hardware store and buy a 1/8 inch brass plug. When you get home, make sure the boiler is not running and take the vent off and put the brass plug in. If the valve still makes noise, open it back up and leave it open. The radiator won't heat because with the plug in the vent hole, the steam won't be ablle to push the air out. Old, unmaintained systems often have bad valves, bad vents and a slew of other issues.

• Nemanjakovac
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their suggestions and help. I went to the hw store and got a plug and also a new air vent. I'm pretty sure the air/steam was going out around the point vent is screwed to the radiator so I've used couple of layers of teflon tape around the threading.

Situation is better now I guess. Hissing sound is gone and steam is not exiting the radiator. The trickling sound is still there but not so bad. The radiator doesn't get hot all the way. Side closest to the valve is pretty hot (but not insanely as before) and the side with the vent on is just warm. Its obvious the guy yesterday didn't shut the valve properly. I'll try to get him to open it tomorrow and hopefully that is going to be the end of it.

People in this building would rather keep windows and front door open than try to fix the issue, have comfort and not waste energy...
  • Nemanjakovac
    Options
    I've installed the new air air vent for now because I didn't realize i needed tool to screw in the plug...