Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone know the manufacture of this trap?

Looking to repair

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited December 2014
    That's an unusual one-is it stuck open or closed?
    If stuck open, and unrepairable, you may want to put an orifice on the valve side to limit the amount of steam getting in. Search here for orifices. Pressure must be very low in the range of ounces.
    The library here also has info on ancient steam systems.--NBC
  • Mark_72
    Mark_72 Member Posts: 53
    I have not been to the home yet. Picture sent from home owner. would like to know more about it before I jump in.
  • Ask him how he knows the trap is bad. Maybe his pressure has jumped up with a lack of regular maintenance-clogged pigtail, etc.--NBC
  • Mark_72
    The call was for banging at a couple of rads. So I asked him to send me a pic of the trap.
  • Mark_72
    Going to head out and scrap off the paint and see what I can find
  • Mark_72
    Vents look to be shot. Settings look to be ok.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    That's not a trap. It's a vapor device. You must run this system on a vaporstat. It's similar to Broomell. Ten ounces should be the highest setting. He's getting hammering because the pressure is too high and steam is passing through the vapor devices into the returns.
    Retired and loving it.
    Mark_72
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Gerry gave us permission to have his videos here as well: https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/category/steam

It pays to wander.
    Retired and loving it.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/category/steam It's on this site now as well! Second video.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Dan I agree it pays to wander. Lots of great info in the Heating Museum.
  • Mark_72
    Jstar
    They have 6 vents on the supply mains in the basement. 3 vents on each main. there is 5 vents on the returns at the boiler.
  • Mark_72
    A lot of venting on this system. almost every rad has a vent or bleeder installed and not one of them should. 25 rads in all. Only one rad has a 17c trap so I 'm impressed that after all these years they still have 24 Veco traps. Going back today to turn it down. Home owner had all 25 rads pulled and taken to be blasted and painted then all re installed. so I was called in because they were leaking at the trap unions and some banging.
  • Mark_72
    Found vents on mains and returns. If this system needs only the returns vented why would someone build antlers and install vents on the mains? The mains are the ones that are spewing .