Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Danfoss TRV with Street elbow..ok?

So i have minimal clearance on the end of my radiator where the vent is installed. i already have the danfoss TRVs but the clearance is just too tight to make it work. would it be okay to have a 1/8" street elbow installed and then the danfoss TRV Body and actuator attached to it? thanks in advance.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Will you even be able to screw it in if you do that? Another possible problem would be that would place the TRV very close to the radiator which would likely influence the setting on the TRV. Are you using a remote sensor or one mounted directly to the body?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Are you just talking about making it face outwards toward the front of the radiator instead of sticking out the side? If that is the case there should not be a problem.
  • Spunky424
    Spunky424 Member Posts: 82
    RobG said:

Are you just talking about making it face outwards toward the front of the radiator instead of sticking out the side? If that is the case there should not be a problem.

yes that was my idea
    KC_Jones said:

Will you even be able to screw it in if you do that? Another possible problem would be that would place the TRV very close to the radiator which would likely influence the setting on the TRV. Are you using a remote sensor or one mounted directly to the body?

i'm using the remote sensor but i do have to check the clearance i hope itll fit. if it doesnt. is there really any other option? my radiators are recessed into the wall underneath my windows.

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    With the remote sensor it shouldn't be a problem at all as long as you have room to screw it all together. Pay attention to how you position the elbow, make sure you don't slope the TRV away from the radiator. Other than that I can't think of any problems with this.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I would also suggest you put a small amount of insulation on any additional piping to aid in responsiveness.
  • sometimes a TRV is chosen for a system to solve a problem caused by an unbalanced system, caused by a lack of venting.
    have you checked that?--NBC
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    If you're going to install a TRV via an elbow I would, even though it's gonna look worse, make sure it's pitched back towards the radiator.

You need to ensure any water that finds it's way in there can get back out or it'll give you endless problems.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Spunky424
    Spunky424 Member Posts: 82

sometimes a TRV is chosen for a system to solve a problem caused by an unbalanced system, caused by a lack of venting.
    have you checked that?--NBC

I'm using trvs since not all the rooms in my house are occupied. There are a few vacant rooms that I would like to keep the temp lower than the rest of the house so they get the bulk of the steam. Not sure if that makes sense.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Just be aware your system will not work well if you throttle the output significantly and it can become inefficient. Steam systems operate best when the output of the boiler match the capacity of the radiators.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge