Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WM 97 + 70 Locks out

Jimbo_5
Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 218
I have a 2 year old unit that will not start, t-stat has new batteries, power is on, LWCO is OK. This very same thing happened last winter. Runs OK all winter, but will not start when calling for heat in Fall. Ideas? Turned power switch off, waited 3 minutes, turned on again to reset--NO GO. Hit the LWCO reset, just in case, tried to start, purged, then shut down again.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    So what got it going last winter?
  • Jimbo_5
    Wife's condo in Seaside, NJ. She called installer, claimed it needed to be air-purged and purge valves needed replacement. So he did replace valves, purg, and it worked. At that point boiler was not even a year old and wondered why, if valves were bad, he didn't replace them during install.
  • Danscrew
    Danscrew Member Posts: 130
    Jim
    Sometimes when you kill the power you have to reset the Maintenance reminder for it to start. Dan
  • Jimbo_5
    Thanks, but that could present major problems, couldn't it? Suppose you went on a 2 week cruise, or to Florida for a few weeks, and had a brief power loss. You'd have no way of knowing you lost power, thus no way to know you had to reset the programing, and no way to do it even if you did. That need to reset after power loss could destroy your house, or at least freeze pop your pipes. Gotta be a better way. Is there?
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Could Warm Weather Shutdown be set too low?
  • Gordy
    edited November 2014
    You say LWCO is okay, but what is the system pressure? Should be 12-15 psi for a typical two story home.
  • Jimbo_5
    System PSI is normal. Green light aglow on LWCO, hit the reset just in case, let it go, and immediately went into purg mode, then shut down again. Wife is fuming that this has happened again. House is hour and a half from here, so running back and forth is a royal pain in the butt.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    WWSD sounds like a good reason.

If the green light showing that the LWCO is satisfies, and something "clicks", I don't that 20# system pressure is causing the problem.

Those old purge valves are always keeping burners from running. There's nothing quite like a thoughtfully placed ball valve on the return with a boiler drain above it to replace a whole tribe of expensive and leaky purge valves.
  • Danscrew
    Jim
    Did you check the Fault display and lock out history diagnostic ? It should say something why she don't want to fire?
  • Jimbo_5
    Yeah, and that was what she paid for LAST year. This is the very same thing that happened this time last year. Seems like the beginning of each season, it's only 2 Yeats old, the boiler needs work before starting, rather than simply turning the t-stat up.
  • Danscrew
    Jim
    My boiler is the exact same as yours i never had any problems with it. So they replaced the purge valves because there was air in the system. Which was Causing problems with the LWCO switch? There shoult be a fault history indicating that unless someone cleared them. You can clear out all the faults your self you dont need a service Tech to do this.
  • Gordy
    There is a reason obviously this is happening. Are you able to read the error code? Or is there not one?
  • Jimbo_5
    I tried to read the codes, but the unit is only a few inches off the floor, and trying to read them laying on my belly, magnifying glass in hand, was not an easy dance for me. Not on site Noe, but I will try it tomorrow, again.
    First time, the LWCO was fine also, green light on, hit reset and entered purg mode, then shut down. Maddening.
  • Danscrew
    Jim
    FYI Do you have the owners manual for the boiler if not you can print it from the Weil Mclain site or just print what you need from the troubleshooting section.
  • Jimbo_5
    No OM found at the boiler when installed. But you're right, I am not very familiar with this boiler. And laying on the cold floor, my 64 year old belly rocking back and forth, trying to focus the magnifying glass on the reddish screan I was in no mood to be patient. Scrolling thru the options, offering to change the date & time, reschedule maintenance, ect, ect, I left cursing aloud in anticipation of hearing the wife's complaining schrills.
  • Danscrew
    If you would like send me your email you could send me your # and i could walk you thru it as i would be in front of mine going over the steps. You said you are going try again Tommorrow?
    RobG
  • Jimbo_5
    Thanks Dan. Yes I am going to give it another try tomorrow afternoon or evening. My email is jimmyoceans@yahoo.com