Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Suggestions for replacing a Polaris with a new boiler..

johnlobb
johnlobb Member Posts: 22
My friend has a Morflo Polaris LP gas unit and is going to replace it with a natural gas boiler. He likes the 96% efficiency of the Polaris but it is not cost effective to convert it. He has a hot water coil in a air handling unit and it works for him. The Polaris is 100K BTU. I used to be a Slant Fin rep but have not been around the business in a while. I am also a journeyman Pipefitter. Anyone have any suggestions for a boiler? Brand?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    What's the heat loss of his house? What's his peak DHW demand?
    It may be that a combi boiler would be sufficient if neither of these is too great, but without knowing the answers, your question is too generalized.
    There are several good mod/cons available including SlantFin's fire tube, but I would not recommend every combi model.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • johnlobb
    johnlobb Member Posts: 22
    He does not use the Polaris for DHW, only heating. I have not done a heat loss, but he says when it gets real cold, the 100K does not quite keep up. So maybe 110-120K would be good. He has a separate draft induced hot water tank that he is going to replace also.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    It's quite possible that the full output is not actually being delivered to the load. Do the heat loss.
    icesailor
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Take a look at the HTP Pioneer or Versa Flame . Both are boilers , Versa Flame has a FPHX for DHW , comes in 130 , 160 , 199K and has lots of mass
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    SWEI said:

It's quite possible that the full output is not actually being delivered to the load. Do the heat loss.

More likely that the Polaris water heater isn't delivering 100,000 BTU's to an undersized air handler. A straight 100,000 BTU's delivered into a large hacienda is a lot of BTU's. No one said how big the unit actually was. When was the last time it was accurately combustion tested?

Box of greasy donuts says it is running at no better than 50% rated output.

• SWEI
    icesailor said:

SWEI said:

More likely that the Polaris water heater isn't delivering 100,000 BTU's to an undersized air handler.
    Right, which was my point.
    GordyRobG
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    I only wanted to re-affirm your point. That was well taken.
  • SWEI
    Thanks.

The inability to discern social cues from posted plaintext causes all manner of misunderstandings.
    icesailor