Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Will This Cast Rad work ?

Paso
Paso Member Posts: 6
edited November 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
Providing this radiator passes a air pressure test and is okay will it be suitable to have the return water flow thru on the way back to the boiler. My only purpose is to squeeze every bit of heat out of the return flow. I am not sure how it was used before assuming on boiler, not steam.

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Are you looking to install in the return to a steam boiler? If so no it won't work. Water flows back by gravity to a steam boiler. Not sufficient flow. Look into doing a pumped hot water loop off a steam boiler.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    what makes you think it wasn't steam?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Paso
    The person I got it from said it was a hot water radiator. But I have no idea. I have a oil boiler piped in series and I was thinking of adding this at the very end of the loop in the shop.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    What type of system do you have? Hot water or Steam? If it's steam as was said this won't work.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Paso
    I have a hot water system
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    The only possible issue could be if you have a cast iron boiler you need to be careful about your return water temps. If you drop too low you could cause condensing on cast iron which isn't good. Just something to be aware of.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Paso
    Thanks everyone for the comments.
    I have never paid much attention to cast radiators except they radiate great heat. :) When I got the radiator I was just waiting to add it to my shop heating system somewhere. My set up is really "off the wall " but it works and provides great heat in the shop. As long as it doesn't leak and water flows thru it
    (not clogged ??) I wanted to try it.
    Was it a hot water rad or steam rad ? in it's original life?? Curious only
    Thanks