Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1/4 of an ounce!

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,669
Finally installed the 16" WC gauge and fired the system up. The highest I saw was 1/4 of an ounce and that happened after the main vents closed.

youtu.be/N4YiJR-TQg8
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
BobC

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Yeah, but is it still too much?
  • ChrisJ
    JStar said:

I don't know, what do you think?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Replace all of the mains with 6" pipe?
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    But, my threader only goes to 2"?
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Time to buy a Ridgid 161 lol
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    ChrisJ
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    JStar said:

LOL!
  • ChrisJ
    edited October 2014
    :)
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    I know what he can do.
    1. Take the entire system apart.
    2. Clean the insides of all the pipes to make them as smooth as possible.
    3. Either polish the inside of the pipes or coat them in a low friction material.

That might reduce the frictional losses enough to reduce your pressure further. Now get to work!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    edited October 2014
    Port and polish a steam system eh?

KC, what pressure are you typically seeing? I know you told me but I can't remember.
  • KC_Jones
    Or just send all your pipe to these guys.
    http://www.extrudehoneafm.com/
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2014
    Performance on a 17F ambient and windy night.

http://youtu.be/bBqMvaU_GNQ

• KC_Jones
    @vaporvac tell Chris about all that wonderful vacuum you have in your system. lol Sorry Chris couldn't resist. Seriously though that is a finely tuned system you have there! Good job!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Why do you think my gauge also shows vacuum?
    Possible future modification perhaps? :)
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Chris is basically my hero as his pics inspired me to attempt my install when other options failed.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    ChrisJ
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Chris, is it truely a vacuum or does the gauge need to be recalibrated? I know my gauge was showing a similar situation (0-3psi gauge) and about once a year I have to recalibrate it. It will show a negative when the boiler has been off for days. Once calibrated it is fine for about a year.
  • ChrisJ
    Fred said:

Chris, is it truely a vacuum or does the gauge need to be recalibrated? I know my gauge was showing a similar situation (0-3psi gauge) and about once a year I have to recalibrate it. It will show a negative when the boiler has been off for days. Once calibrated it is fine for about a year.

Hi Fred,

I meant the gauge can also indicate vacuum. In my video from the 17F windy night it's showing a positive pressure of around 0.5" to 1" WC. To me it's closer to 0.5" WC average.