Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Weil-McLain boiler, no pigtail

2»

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Where's the drip for the counter-flow? What is the drop with the wrong pitch down to the bottom ofthe equalizer? Maybe an optical illusion.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Fred said:

I said way early in this post that I don't see how this systemproperly. I still believe that. 4PSI is much to high! It's just wrong.

Another thing just occurred to me. If they would run the boiler lower and address her pipe sizing issues, would it have been possible to eliminate the condensate pump? At 4PSI there is no way to get enough "A" dimension, but at a lower pressure and a little re-piping of the returns that might have been possible? That would have simplified the system dramatically and possibly even cost less money to install as well as less operating costs for sure. Any of these ideas are theoretical without being there with a tape measure.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    So hard to tell what might be possible if a steampro were there to assess the total system. I just know 4psi isn't right for that boiler, the vents, or the return condensate.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,669
    edited November 2014
    Get them back to fix their work.

Not sure about the pigtail, though honestly it looks like it would cause liquid to end up in the controls and I doubt that's good.

What I do know is that looks like either two 2" risers into a 2" header or two 2.5" risers into a 2.5" header and both are unacceptable.

Absolute bare minimum for an EGH-95 is two 2" risers into a 3" header.

If it was mine I'd want two 3" risers into a 4" or 5" header.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment