Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another Leaking Burnham

Have a circa 1997 Burnham V907 small commercial steam boiler which is leaking.

It wasn't producing the vibrant heat it used to and I chalked that up to being slightly overdue for it's annual service.

When the technician was here, he saw signs of a leak and flooded the boiler in search of the source. Water ran down the rear wall of the firebox, the source is above the waterline.

There is also a questionable mark on the side of a section, about 2" horizontal rust line but the tech could not determine the source.

I see online many others have had similar issues. Learning from experience, what's the best way to proceed?

A warranty inquiry was made.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Getting a boiler that old apart without further damage could be a problem and the labor to do so will be expensive. Balance that against the cost of a new boiler.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    it's probably new boiler time. Whether you go with Burnham, or another make, measure your radiators for their EDR so the new boiler can be sized correctly, and not just from the old boiler.
    Try and determine what killed the old boiler. Possible causes could be:
    1. Leaks in the return causing the excessive addition of fresh water.
    2. Water supply containing excessive chlorides, or products containing chlorides stored close to the boiler.
    3. Bad venting with high pressure causing an acidic water level.--NBC
  • Paperclip
    Paperclip Member Posts: 3
    Well, yes, replacement is one option. I don't know what might be available under warranty, see online trails of a class action, don't know what will assure or minimize the opportunity of another system failing or what brands are preferable nowadays, and have a plethora of questions like that.

So in short, what have others already down the same road done that's worked out well?

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Get a contractor that will communicate with Burnham re any compensation. Then you will have your options clearer.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I wouldn't hold out much hope getting any compensation from Burnham for a 17 year old boiler. Of course it doesn't hurt to try but I would get some quotes for a replacement while you are talking to them. No matter what they say, you still need heat. Maybe, just maybe, if you talk to the right person, talk nicely, catch them on the right day, they might give you some kind of discount on a new boiler. Best of luck to you!
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    As of last year they were offering incentives re the V7s. I would start there.
  • Paperclip
    Paperclip Member Posts: 3
    What's the story with domestic cold water being added to a boiler and corrosives causing failure? This is leaking above the waterline, any correlation?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Fresh water contains oxygen and that eats iron. One way to minimize that corrosion is to fire up the boiler and make steam anytime fresh water is added to a steam boiler. Also be careful when adding water to a hot boiler, do it slowly so nothing gets stressed. Holes at the waterline are a sign that oxygen has benn doing it's work for a long time, rust never sleeps.

I have never had an automatic water feeder on a steam boiler (been responsible for them for over 50 years) because I think it's important to keep an eye on them. I look at mine at least three times a week when the heat is running so if it needs water I'll know it, I'll know how much is being added, and I'll be able to run the boiler after adding water to drive off any oxygen in the fresh water. If I see the amount of water I have to add goes up I know I have a leak somewhere that I have to fix. It makes no sense to me to add something that needs maintenance and can cause mischief as well.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge