Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quick Question.... Water Heater Loop only?

Options
Javelin
Javelin Member Posts: 138
Dear Heating Pros, I am planning some painting on the upstairs of my house in the next week and would like to detach the radiators and move them away from the wall so I can paint behind them easily. My question is this.. Can I close the 3 main valves of my system (2 to each zone, one return) (RED ARROWS IN PHOTO) and leave just the Indirect hot water heater running on it's mini-loop? I would think I could, just want to confirm that I don't need the full load of the system for some reason? The boiler should just run at a lower % for a lower amount of time (like it's been doing all summer right?

Please confirm I can drain the system a bit, and close these valves, leaving just the IHWH running.

THanks,

Jay

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I don't see a problem with that.
    I would disconnect the power to the bumble bees and disable heat at the boiler.Even with the heat mode off to the boiler it may power the circs as part of a maintenance cycle.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    If they are old cast iron radiators that have never been disconnected, you may open up a real "can of worms".
  • Javelin
    Javelin Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Thank you Zman and Paul48 - I've actually had them disconnected before when I installed those thermostatic valve thingies to help regulate temps on the 3rd floor, so HOPEFULLY all will be good. Thanks for your expertise - wish me luck!