Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating exhuast pipe rust

Xmytruck
Xmytruck Member Posts: 85
edited September 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello
The heating exhaust pipe is rusted and the elbow has small little hole how much can I expect to pay to get this fixed? Price range is fine I understand the fairness rule of the board. At first I thought the roof was leaking but I never see water in the basement when it's raining only when the heaters on. So I'm thinking the heating system is creating condensation. Going to call a company to tune the system and replace the pipe.

Comments

• Is this the flue for a boiler?
    If it has been rusting out the flue, then what has it been doing to the insides of the boiler?
    Give us some more details and pictures of your boiler, as there is something very wrong with your setup.--NBC
  • Xmytruck
    It's the flu for the boiler and the hot water heater there is an automatic damper on the flu and it is a weil McLain boiler.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I don't mean to scare you but that flue needs to be replaced and a complete inspection has to be done on the system to determine why it's condensing. Don't risk you and your family's lives.
  • Xmytruck
    Definitely going to set up an appointment to get the heating system inspected want to replace at least the elbow on the flue. When I was in the attic six months ago didn't notice any rust on the flu there.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    You need a new shanty cap, and have the flashing problem corrected. This is looks to be coming down, not going up. I would also recommend that a "Tee" and a cap/plug be installed where that elbow is
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    That is a "CG" Boiler. It should have a draft hood with a vent damper above. Is it vented into a chimney? Show more photos of the venting, top of the boiler and where the exhaust goes into a chimney. Does the system have a large number of cast iron radiators?

Does that metal pipe go into a brick/masonry chimney or does it go straight through the roof with no masonry chimney?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Looks like Metalbestos to me Ice
  • icesailor
    My photo is loaded 90 degrees to the left. The ceiling is on the left side.

Technically, the installation of the B-Vent is illegal without a base tee with a cap. The vent isn't supposed to enter the bottom of a started tee. At least on the B-Vent that I installed or the Stainless Steel oil.

What's on the other side of the Firestop/flange?
  • Xmytruck
    Going to dig for some new photos. Won't be back at the house for at least another week or two.
  • Xmytruck
    null

Piping goes right through the roof no chimney. At the top of the roof there is a cap on top I think it's a metalbestos as well
  • Xmytruck
    Hello
    Here are some more pics I was able to dig up.. None of the heating system

• icesailor
    When old, known to be leaky.

Nice Cape Cod (type) scrub pines in the background.
  • Xmytruck
    one more for reason the site is turning this pic to it's side this really a elbow going up..