Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water baseboard heater too big for room

src3412
src3412 Member Posts: 1
We bought a house last June and we have grown to love the hot water baseboard heating system throughout. We do have one issue in particular with the size/placement of the single baseboard heater in our daughters bedroom, which is the smallest bedroom in the house. Her room measures 11x14, and the one bb heater in her room, extends from one end of the 14' wall to the other. Her room gets too hot in winter, despite the ability to turn down the temp for her heater manually...its almost like its too much bb heater for such a small room. my question is, can we reduce the size by about half? If so, how? Her bedroom faces east, so it gets plenty of natural heat from the sun, even in the winter. Thanks for the advice in a dance!

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Photo:

Post a photo of the offending heater. Depending on what it is, there are ways.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Easiest

If you are confidant that the baseboard is over-sized for the space the easiest thing to do is to remove the cover and cut off fins from the unit. You should do it in small increments until you find the proper balance. Make sure and put the cover back on after cutting off fins to ensure proper convection. There are many other ways as well.

Rob
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    You can also

wrap some fins with aluminum foil. They need air flow from the bottom to the top to work, and covering them up will be almost like removing them.

After you decide how much works you can then cut off the fins permanently.
  • Wethead7
    Wethead7 Member Posts: 170
    Are you sure?

I would double check about the baseboard sizing. Before removing fins. Houses are very complicated things. I would check these things first. Insulation around that room. The insulation of the other rooms. The windows in that room and the others. You issue maybe the other rooms are undersized. Have you tried leaving the door open?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited August 2014
    Complex problem

If I'm reading your post correctly that room has its own thermostat? Does that thermostat only control that room?

How is the rest of the house ? Cold rooms hot rooms?

Wondering how the baseboards are piped. That room may be the first baseboard in a loop.

Another option is lowering supply temp to the baseboard say from 180 to 160. All though this could have under heating consequences in the other baseboard in the house.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    TRV

Dan goes into this on one of his books and I used it once to great success.Add a TRV and a bypass loop in 1/2 inch.When rad is satisfied valve closes and water continues through loop to reat of zone.You might find his diagram under Systems on the top of the page.Good luck.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Another option TRV with bypass

Is a good one johnny.

Curious on the system before tearing fins off baseboard, or doing anything.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Third World Cut Downs:

A tried and true third world solution  world be to take strips of cardboard as wide as the elements and cover them to stop the convection air flow through the element. If it isn't warm enough, remove some cardboard. Once you cut off the fins, you can never put them back.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Yes you can

There are clamp on replacement fin blocks. I gave the easiest way (cheapest). The man said he had a new child and most people with new children don't have a lot to spend. However, I stated that there were many other ways available and to not cut too many fins at one time. You can however replace fins with a simple clamp on unit  they work very well, I have used them in under-radiated spaces and unfinished areas.

http://www.finclampelement.com/FinClampElement

Rob
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    every day is a school day

thanks Rob for sharing that one.I have never seen it.Looks like a great solution.