Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Snow Melt

superdave
superdave Member Posts: 155
I was asked this to day by a GC. Can we confirm that the heat will travel through the 4 inches of concrete and then an additional 4 inch of mortar / bluestone paving?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    It's just a matter of time….

THe further away from the reacting surface the tubing is, the longer time it takes to get that surface to the melting point, and the more energy you will use getting it there. Any reason you can't do the structural slab first, then tie tubing to mesh on the top of that slab, then finish with grout and stone? I've done it this way numerous times and it worked like a champ. Don't forget to put insulation at the very bottom of the slab profile to avoid send heat to Mother Earth.

We shot 6 x 6 x 10 Ga. wire to the poured and cured cement, and tied tubing to that. Stone masons set wet pack and stone on top of that. Make certain your snow detector is flush with the intended final surface and doesn't trap moisture, or you will be back there soldering an extension onto the snow cup… Don't ask me how I know this :-(

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    cuisr
  • superdave
    Thanks

Is there a % amount more to go up through per inch
  • superdave
    Has anyone seen this before and used this for snow melt?? It looks like fast track by uponor but using it for snow melt.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Is it insulated underneath? Like Fast track 1.3. Which is 1/2" not enough for snow melt.

My concern would be consolidation around the tubing with larger aggregate mix designs such as in drives,walks,and patios. With the lack of use of a vibrator which is common in the residential arena.

If you notice Fast Track does recommend certain products for over pouring their panels. Small aggregate mixes.
  • superdave
    This is a project I loosed to others and someone sent me this photo. I have never seen this before nor do I know what the brand name is. I don't know what size the tubing is or the R value. I use R10 when I have done snow melt before with mesh or rebar. If this is something new and it is rated for out door driveways I think it makes an install good.
  • RJMCTAFO
    RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
    I think that is CreteHeat. Comes in two diff r values.
    http://www.crete-heat.com
  • superdave
    thanks for your time.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    My concern with designs like Crete-Heat is that the tubing ends up at the bottom of the pour.
    RobG
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    It might work well with pavers if you had a slab under it.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Right, though I suspect more of that heat might find its way into the lower slab than I would prefer.