Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What do you think of this new product?

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
A friend from the U.K. just showed me this and told me to be sure to watch the quick video. We both expect to see it in Walmart before long. Love to hear your thoughts.

<a href="http://www.guardianstore.co.uk/guardian-pongtu-plunger.html">http://www.guardianstore.co.uk/guardian-pongtu-plunger.html</a>
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    I think it would be interesting...

...to know how well that adhesive ages while sitting on a shelf.  There's quite a potential for "explosive" results if it fails while the product is in use, with substantial lateral dispersion of "stuff."

Traditional plungers seem more than adequate.  I'd not be inclined to purchase this new widget, but would probably find the late-night TV ad for it amusing.  :)
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Some of mine:

I promise you that the product will NOT ever clear some of mine. Only a toilet auger will do.

There's an episode of Mythbusters around now on this topic, About exploding toilets.

Let the buyer beware.
  • GuardianTech
    GuardianTech Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014
    Adhesive and Pressure

From the manufacturer:

The Adhesive has been specially developed for adhering to ceramics and is incredibly good.

The issue of pressure is a false one. Condiser that the pressure is created by flushing the toilet, and the gravity force is less than 1 foot. The pressure is created when pushing this down, and in this scenario if correctly fixed with no leaks it will work fine.

I will upload a picture of a man standing on the Film. It is brilliant.

We use wash down pans in Europe, not Syphonic as common in older systems in the USA. What the pressure would do to the symphonic seal I am not sure.

It is very very clever. Do you Pongtu, we sure do!

Thanks for the valuable feedback. 
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    edited July 2014
    Interesting

Interesting, I doubt most American consumers would have the patience or know-how to read the instructions (even if they were in English) and operate. Even my wife knows how to use a plunger. If the plunger doesn't get it I turn to the Ridgid extendable closet auger.

As well, if the pressure did not clear the blockage the black water would push up into the tank.

No Bueno

JMHO,

Rob
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited July 2014
    At the very least....

I would wear shorts....

and who wants to step on poo (when it inevitably breaks)?
    steve
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    A solution....

This looks like a solution looking for a problem.

Anyone who has stepped in a dogturd with bare feet would be disinclined to try this one.

I think I will stick with the plunger.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    May not work

Unlike English toilets, our domestic varieties have a separate passage (I believe) up to the ball-cock in the tank, which allows the trap to fill after a flush.

I am sure this will prevent any pressure from being applied to the blockage. Most of the time it is the suction stroke which pulls the debris up enough to loosen it.

This device follows the arrangement of a well-known English practical joke, wherein some clear plastic sandwich wrap is stretched across the porcelain bowl. The next user is in for an unpleasant surprise.--NBC