Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ECM circulators

Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
I love all the new variable speed circulators on the market these days, however you don't always need such fancy controls in every situation. Does anyone have a simple circ with ECM motor that you can just set for one gpm? I'm thinking for the purpose of a dedicated circ for the primary side of a boiler loop to a hydraulic separator. That way you could have the lower operating costs of an ECM motor without paying for and on board computer in the circ controls or equivalent.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,121
    fixed speed?

Hi Wayne, I know the Grundfos Alpha have 3 fixed speed modes, add a flow meter as the display for GPM on any of the ECMs is not always accurate.

Also the B&G Vario is a basic ECM circ, the Armstrong Compass also.

Be sure to add a magnetic separator with ECM circs, especially old iron systems, and non barrier tube jobs :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited June 2014
    One GPM

is clearly in the ecocirc e3 realm.  They're no less expensive than an Alpha or a Stratos, but they draw tiny amounts of power.  Much better to run a pump in the sweet spot of its curve than to bounce of the bottom.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    edited June 2014
    Scottish

It just seems to me they could make one that was not so fancy that you could dial in to the gpm or delta tee you want and then turn a screw to lock it in place. It would cost less but save a lot on operating costs.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    ecocirc e3 Vario

Has a knob on the side -- just turn it to the speed you want (we dial in the ∆T we want) and leave it there.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Thanks

I hadn't. Heard of it. I'll look it up.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    ECM (electronicalle commentated motor)

You need the "board" and it's electronics to make the circulator work.  It is essentially a stepper motor with many drivers to make the windings charge in a circular pattern.  Basically aside from the display there is no extra electronics involved that wouldn't otherwise be there just to make an ECM. 

TS
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!