Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast Iron baseboard clearance question

brucetrav
brucetrav Member Posts: 3
Hello -

I have a 1950s original powder room that I'm looking to remodel. I'm thinking about tiling over the existing ceramic tile.

One question I have is related to the baseboard heating. I have the old cast iron baseboard radiators. Right now, there is approximately 1" of clearance between the top of the opening on the bottom and the floor. If I tile over the tile, that gap will be decreased.

Does anyone know if this will be an issue with airflow through the baseboard heater, etc.? Don't want to do this and have issues later.

Thanks for the input

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Issues:

It will be a bigger issue that you realize. Rip up the old tile and replace it. Your bigger problem will be the toilet closet flange.

"There's never time enough to do it right. But there's always time for someone else to do it over".
  • brucetrav

hmm, I thought the toilet flange was going to be a non issue. everything I've read says that you can either extend the screws that attach to the toilet, and buy a thicker wax ring. is that not the case?

really trying to avoid pulling up the floor unless completely necessary. its the old 1950s mud, wire mesh all attached to the plywood subfloor. current tile is in great shape, just dated. i have plenty of clearance around the door, marble plate connecting the two rooms, etc. I'm just mainly concerned about the baseboard
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    how much?

if you are just adding 1/4 tile in a thinset above the current floor, I doubt you will notice much output difference. Does the room heat well currently?

If the subfloor below the bathroom is solid and in good condition structurally I would not rip out a good solid mudset tile job, consult with a pro tilesetter for guidence.

There are a number of good closet flange extender products, "google" closet flange extender. I used a couple FTS-4 on my own home to extend a flange that was connected to old 4" cast iron, they have served me well.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • brucetrav

thanks hot rod,

yeah, it would just be 1/4 in tile and thinset. subfloor is in great shape and nothing beats the solid 1950s mudset jobs, hence why i'm trying to avoid ripping everything out

currently, room doesn't heat great, but it shares two walls with an unheated garage. i'm in CT so we get some really cold winters. 1950s house = very little insulation, so it doesn't surprise me that rooms gets a little cold.

i'll take a look at those extenders you list above
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    warm the floor

before you set the new tile. I've used this product, even sent some to my sister to install as she had her kitchen floor tiled. Tape or use a hot glue gun to "stick" it to the current tile. A notched plastic trowel to spread the thinset and stick the tile.

Nothing beats a warm tiled bathroom floor.

http://www.wattsradiant.com/products/heatweave/mat/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream