Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Extend a zone from a kickboard heater?

Options
Ranman
Ranman Member Posts: 3
I am adding on to my house and one of the new rooms will be a walk in closet for the master bedroom on the 2nd floor. My existing house has four zones. There are two zones on the second floor of the existing house, one that feeds three bedrooms and one that feeds a kickboard heater in a bathroom. The kickboard heater zone rarely comes on, because the bath seems to get heat flowing in from elsewhere. I can heat the closet by extending loop going through the bedrooms and putting it on that zone, but ideally it would be good to have it controlled by its own thermostat. I was wondering if there is a way to do this using the loop that goes to the kickboard heater, since that zone is under utilized and the piping is not too far away from the new closet?

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Yep

That's the answer. Do you want to abandon the bathroom kick board header.?

What does your boiler room look like do you have a picture of that.
  • Ranman
    edited June 2014
    Options
    More info

I don't want to abandon the kickboard heater in the bath. Here is a pic of the boiler room focusing on the zoning pumps.
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    How's your chance

Up date the near boiler piping.

Bumble bee pump, centre zone valves

Out door reset.

Pump away from expansion tank.

Do all that I can guess you will save 20% or more on gas bill.

Or

You want to install another pump and creat another zone. Really not that difficult.
  • Ranman
    Options
    Is there a device that can bypass flow to the kickboard?

I am wondering if there is a device that I can installl behind a wall somewhere on the second floor that will divide the flow and bypass the kickboard when it is not calling for heat. Is there such a device and if so how would the design of such a system look like?
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    You don't

Want to put anything behind the wall, what would be the big deal if you just made another zone?

Pink cheap way of doing this.