Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Here's to 100 years of useage

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
This Mueller pancake boiler has been in service for 100 years. From coal, to oil and natural gas. We replaced the boiler with a new Vitodens 200; repiped the basement mains and installed TRV's on all the cast iron radiators.

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Nice!

: ))

It would be great to hear that someday , roll outta the grave one morning and have some "Young Guy" telling us that our system Hit Century ! lol.

I am tweaking an ancient of days American Radiator & Standard Sanitary out and a Bucket a day for a Slant Fin 50 Intrepid . from hand fired to stoker to oil . and just before i went home he was asking me about hooking up a gas burner in the future..

it is staying put as is for now i just not keen on taking either of the boiler or bucket a day out. so i am valving them off and tying into the returns and supplies and valving the old equipment out for now... i may keep the screws and stokers now that i have them apart.. lash them up to the one i bough off a retired plumber ten years ago or so and go coal ... : )

We can Do This ! : ))

Your work is going forward mine seems to be headed back a century or two..
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Longevity

Weez, I doubt the mod-con will last anywhere near the pancake boiler. Still, 92% efficiency is pretty good for radiators. We set the curve at 1.4 but it may need to go higher in the winter. It's fun to take these systems into the 21st century.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Nice work

Nice work as always. What kind of expansion tank bracket is that?

rob