Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mid range boilers

kgk14
kgk14 Member Posts: 24
I'm on a budget and been exploring boilers for a few weeks.   In terms of quality, serviceability and price, how would you compare Pensotti with Biasi?  These two seem to be the low to mid range options in my area.  Need about 80-100k BTU.  

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2014
    IMO

Here is my thought a boiler puts out btu and sucks in fuel, i don't have a preference of what I install, what I do have on my mind all the time is the availability for parts.

Let me say I another but fun way, a boiler is a pig that's it's gas and poops btu's.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Budget

is fine but for anyone to give you an answer of any value could you tell us what type of system you have or are installing ? Then there is the biggest question , how'd you come to the 80 - 100 K conclusion ? That is quite a large gap if a heat loss was performed .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Midrange

Midrange in what sense?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Budget for boiler

Download the SlantFin heat loss app from their website, and find out what your heat loss is. I presume you have hot water heat?

The Lochinvar solution may be a good fit for you. It is more like a cast iron boiler in price, but is lighter and also has provision for outdoor reset. It cannot use a plastic vent, so if you need that option, you must go with a mod-con, and they are more expensive, and need regular servicing to keep them in operating condition.

Most of the cost of a new boiler is in the installation, which should be done by an experienced hydronic professional, and he may have his own preferences, based on which makes are available in your area.--NBC
  • kgk14
    Midrange etc

The contractors referred to the Pensotti and the Biasi as mid range boilers, compared to a Buderus, etc.   A heat loss calc done for the 2700 square foot house, and, with 15% leeway, the result was about 63,000 btu.  The inputs were not excessive.   Within 5 years I expect to sell the house and am looking for a system that won't be excessively high to have installed, under $7k would be ideal, and would still be a decent system, think Ford or Chevy rather than Audi or Lexus. 
  • Rich_49
    Zones ?

How many are there ??
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • kgk14
    Zones

Just two, one for basement, one for first and second floors
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Car analogy

Boiler is just a part of system, so you comparing not cars but engines. What 2L engine is better, Audi or WW? I guess not much of a difference. What about the rest? You mention 2 zones. I guess , correct me if I wrong, you will be using 2 thermostats to stop and start flow trough the zones?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Good analogy mr tsakh!

Unfortunately too many people think of the boiler as "plug and play", and only after choosing one based on price, realize the limitations of the cheap installer.--NBC
  • Rich_49
    Oil or gas

Biasi and Pensotti make similar oil units . What models are you being told about
    732-751-1560
  • kgk14
    Biasi or Pensotti

Received quotes for a Pensotti DK-2 3 or DK2-4 and a Biasi B10 ....  both with Riello burners.   Which would be a better value and which would be easier for replacement parts?   
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Replacement parts

How close are you to the distributor for the boilers you were quoted?

Most boilers are of similar longevity, so the deciding factor is how well they have been installed. Some heat exchangers are more favored than others (fire-tube), but the key ingredient is the installation, and continuing maintenance.--NBC
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    MPO

I would look at the US Boiler MPO 3 pass. Good quiet and efficient. I also like the plug in ODR control. Easy to install.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Solutions

I'll jump in and vouch for the Solution boiler, I have installed quite a few and for the pricepoint they are very good products. The outdoor reset is limited by the fact that you do not want less than 140 on the return side to prevent condesation, which limits turndown, but you do get some savings that way. They also have two stage burners that will save more on gas if you set the temperatures correctly. There is a connection on the control board for a DHW aquastat which will override the ODR but I don't think you can connect a separate DHW pump controlled by the boiler. The boiler will control one external pump along with the built in bypass pump that comes with the boiler.

I will add an adendum to NBC on one thing though. Under VERY specific circumstances you can sidwall vent using PVC or CPVC for the 45 and 75 models and CPVC only for the 90 and 135 models if and only if the total developed length or the vent is less than 25' and more than 12' (90s = 5', 45s = 3')and you use a draft inducer (sold seperately by Lochinvar). So in other words the vast majority of the time you will have to gravity draft vertically, but if the stars align just right you can sidewall vent the Solution with CPVC.