Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Energy kinetics classic system 2000 problem

Praetor
Praetor Member Posts: 9
I am having a problem with my oil burning energy kinetics furnace/classic system 2000 manager...I think. This is the problem I'm having:

Now that it is springtime weather, I turn down my thermostat, to 0 but I find that the rads are still heating up at separate times, cooling in between these times, yet the system 2000 manager hasn't any of the [indicator] lights on, one time I found the lights on, with the thermostat, again...still off! Is this normal? I can include pics of my system and what it's doing, if it helps

Comments

• Kakashi
    Kakashi Member Posts: 88
    hmm

Bad flow control valve? open zone valve? any lights on the right side of the board?

bad t-stat? any lights on the left side of the board?
  • Praetor
    Thanks for replying but...

I'm afraid I don't know the HVAC lingo but I am mechanically inclined and a fast learner, given the right guidance, I've enclosed a pic if my system manager for the furnace, though, keep in mind, even though you see the lights on, on both sides of the board, the thermostat is actually disconnected, there are no calls for any zones in any part of the house (from the thermostat, that is). I wanted to see if this would shut the heat to the rads off [for the season], again any advice, guidance, and suggestions is very much appreciated
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    System 2000 manager

It looks like the system is running to  make hot water. If it is and the pipe for the heat zone is hot it usually indicates that the zone valve is allowing water to bypass. Repair or replace the valve.
  • Praetor
    Zone valve

Which is the zone valve? Can I pick one up at Home Depot or Lowes, or what have you?

Thanks a million guys, I was stuck with a tech that didn't seem to know what he was doing without talking to another tech over his phone and it cost me $175, just so he can remove the thermostat wire.
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Call the company back

If you spent $$ and the problem remains, they should make good because the diagnosis was wrong.  Ask for a different tech who knows the boiler.
  • TeeSee
    TeeSee Member Posts: 10
    EK problem

From the picture I think you have two zone valves on a classic manager. All the lights are bright, not dim, so I would consider the manager ok.

Check your zone valves to see if one has a stuck motor. Usually EK units use Honeywell V8043 zone valves and the motors are easily replaced. Carefully touch the pipes above the valves, the one that is warm is the culprit. When the hot water calls, the circulator just pumps away, so a partially open zone valve will allow the zone to circulate and the radiators to get hot. If you have long zones those pipes may not be hot. Check the manual lever on the valve. It should retract all the way back to the close position or teasing the lever might allow the motor to retract back. Worse case the rubber sealing ball inside the valve is disfigured and will not seal properly. This is rare and I only see it on systems that have neglected antifreeze in them.
  • Praetor
    I wanna thank everyone for your advice, suggestions and opinions...

Thanx Kakashi, Jim Hankinson and TeeSee for pointing out the possble basis of my problems, because of such I found these:

http://inspectapedia.com/heat/Thermostat_Stuck_On.htm

http://www.completeplumbingsource.com/replace-a-zone-valve

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0&_nkw=Honeywell+V8043&_sacat=0&_from=R40

chapchap70 I called the service company up again and reported the same problem and how unhappy i was with their service, they suggested signing a service contract with them to get the full benefits of warranties and not having to worry about anything, after explaining, again but slowly, how unhappy i was with the tech and what he did, I received a re-imbursement check from them last week.

I'm going to do my homework in local HVAC companies, as a stand by, I'm going to attempt to look into the [heating] zone valve, to see if I have to repair or replace the "offending" valve and attempt to do one of the two myself...to an extent, if it gets to be beyond me, I'll call in a better tech maybe from NEMSI, but, as a DIYer, things are cheaper if you can do them yourself ...carefully of course. 

Thanks again, everyone. You all did more of a great service then an actual tech could have...a round of beers on me, CHEERS!
  • sig
    sig Member Posts: 13
    The classic managers have a problem with power stealing thermostats like the nest. If you have them a resistor needs to be installed. I suggest you call your local EK dealer.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    You either have Honeywell, or Erie zone valves. The 24 volt motor is not releasing most likely. You can either replace just the motor, much cheaper than replacing the head complete. There is no end switch in those, so I would replace just the motor.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Yes researching a more competent heating guy is the way to go. If you're inclined to call this competent company after hours I would highly recommend calling them during normal hours to see what their policy is for nights,weekends.Unfortunately many homeowners are under an impression heating guys are waiting for their phone to ring 24,7. A good portion of above average firms have limited after hours service.

That's what I love about this industry, people get caught in the black hole of "I didn't know this or that, no one told me I needed annual service". In our great society, we all get to choose what risks we want to manage, and which we wish to ignore.

The story you mention is a classic one. It shows that our industry in very vast (no tech knows everything), and our society has not kept up with the notion that in the last 10 years technology had gone through a revolution.

Back in the day it didn't take immense skill to fix 95% of the heating problems. That is no longer the case.

Yesterday we had a call come in, "we used your company maybe 10 years ago. We had a new system installed 6 months ago by another co and we feel they don't know what they are doing. We would like your CO to take over our heating servicing needs" I got on the phone to ask if she would be sending our invoice to the installation company. She said no. I asked what kind of system, she told me. I said I'm sorry we have very little experience with that, we could come but it will take us longer to service your system, you may want to call the installing co. She says ok, I will.

Anyway enough already. Maybe you can see this is a problem that spreads throughout our whole industry. Best of luck with getting a pro.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • billtwocase
    Another way to attack this is to contact Energy Kinetics directly, and find out who is in your area that is recognized by them as a dealer. It is not rocket science with these units, started using them back in the early 80's. Don't keep paying people for their education. As TeeSee mentioned, the ball can also swell. I have changed base/ball assembly for that reason, but uncommon.
  • GW
    Roget That! I think you may agree though, the average Joe or Jame Doe understands autos have advanced, but maybe less so for our humble trade. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    edited April 2015
    biltwocase,
    Of course it's not rocket science. ......you have familiarity with the product. Not everyone does. And, not many homeowners don't know they have a system that 'not everyone' is familiar with in our industry
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • billtwocase
    I guess I was directing that comment towards the guy he paid $$ to. Wasn't directed at the poster, or anyone else here. This is not just a EK problem, as it can happen to any hot water system that has zone valves, or even flow checks. Especially not directing that comment towards another fellow Baystate HVAC person. Cape Cod here Gary