Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless brand

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
What brands of tankless do you like the best.

1. Navien

2. Takagi

3. Rannia

I'm trained in all 3 I have a lot of tankless that I serve.

Comments

• Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    We've...

We've mostly installed Rinnai. Have quite a few out there, both in residental and commercial.

Recently we have been getting the Error 79 (internal water leak) code come up on the newer ones during a heavy rain storm.

Seems like rain is finding it's way down the intake pipe from the roof termination. It leaks out of the combustion fan motor into the bottom of the heater and the sensor goes off.

They have been a good little heater for us besides that.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Rinnai...

I have only seen that error 79 once, it was because an ac duct was blowing rite on the unit, caused condensation in the cabinet. I believe they have a collector for the venting, or you can try piping in a drain...
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Noritz...

hands down. The toughest, most reliable unit I have used.
  • Ditto on Noritz

Plug it in, turn it on, get 'er done.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • M Lane
    M Lane Member Posts: 123
    Noritz

I worked for a mechanical contractor who used 3 commercial condensing units in a temporary boiler truck. They managed to keep a medium sized Catholic school warm for a week while I replaced the main boiler during a 0-10* cold snap.

Have a NC 111 in my house, it needs a little attention after 5 years but really just charging along like a boss.

The problem Noritz has is that they over-market and are too accessible; thus supply houses here in Denver have been dropping them due to lack of margins.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited April 2014
    Noritz would be my

second choice, nice unit, I think they weigh like 5 lbs more than any other tankless, lol... But around here support isnt huge, plus when I look at their catalog there are way too many units, customers get confused {me too}, Rinnai has a pretty simple line up, 3 lines a couple sizes in each and that is it... I also feel like Rinnai isnt going anywhere, I have talked to a bunch of the guys and the cs is good, the company seems good, I think in the next 25 years they are still here and going strong, some of the other companies I can not say the same for, in this market companies selling efficient equipment should be chugging along, not slowing down and I feel I see less and less of some brands...
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Rinnai

In my eyes the Rinnai has the same internals as the takagi, at least on there non-condensing unit. There just a tad more difficult to swap out the heat exchangers.

The takagi had the tm-50 which is almost 400,000 btu. I been seeing a lot of places with 4 to 7 units on the wall. The only thing I see that's bad with theses are the hex going bad or plum wrong,
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    Has anybody used bosch
  • kcopp
    Yes I have used Bosch... The Nat draft units. I have not heard a lot of good things about their units.
  • HDE_2
    HDE_2 Member Posts: 140
    I noticed Bradford White dropped Rinnai as their supplier and are now labeling a Bosch unit as theirs.
    I don't care for Bosch, but the Rinnai has been bullet proof, except for their recent luxury condensing with the leak detector mentioned, Noritz is good and Navien's new unit, NPE has been good too.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    HDE, actually, BW was dropped by Rinnai;)
    RobGPaul S_3
  • HDE_2
    edited November 2014
    Interesting spin on story Jack. Told to you by Rinnai no doubt.
    Fact that Rinnai broke their agreement and produced a tank product had nothing to do with it.

But the insiders in the industry does know the real story.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Well, I guess you told me! It really doesn't matter. BW had the Rinnai product for years and sold handfuls. The interesting thing to me is how readily and decisively you claim insider status, so HDE, I have a question for you.

I have read your posts with interest over the years, but have noticed how you have repeatedly sidestepped identifying yourself when asked directly who you work for/with. Most regular posters here are not so shy. As I ask, I guess I should go first. I was Rinnai's rep in New England from '91-'11 when I sold out my share of the company and moved West. I now work with Rinnai on a consulting basis primarily in the West (in Anchorage at the moment) focusing mostly on the heating products. I should note that opinions presented by me are very much my own, not Rinnai's!

This is a friendly place and I intend, for my part, to keep it that way, but I am curious. Who are you?
  • HDE_2
    edited November 2014
    Sometimes we just can't be outed because it would affect our earnings potential, have to just take it at that, sorry. If it was as easy as saying I'm a contractor, I would have admitted it years ago.
    How about you taking that director position with Rinnai on their boiler products then?
    We would then cross paths I'm sure.

Thank you for the interest, I wish I could participate more
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    I for one enjoy both of your inputs on this site and Jack has come to my aid once before on a Rinnai issue(installation error).In my opinion you dont have to explain your credentials to anyone here Jack your words speak for themselves,peace
  • Koan
    Koan Member Posts: 439
    Hi - any changes in the brand question to date??
  • kcopp
    I have been using the State tankless (which is a rebadged Takagi) They work well..
    Rinnai and Noritz are still good units.
    SWEI
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    I use Rinnai and have one in my house as well.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    I've done 1 Rinnai unit and at least 6 Navien NPE units

Never had a single problem with either brand. Installation is key and making sure gas pressures/ combustion test are done properly.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    We've been installing the 120k State/Rinnai condensing units in small houses for the last year or so. No problems.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    How do you sell tankless gas water heaters to your customers? Are your customers asking for tankless gas water heaters or are you giving the home owner a option tank type gas water heater or a TGWH? Are you selling energy savings? Endless gallons of hot water? Long life of the TGWH with yearly maintenance? Are you running into TGWH where the heat exchanger builds up with lime from hard water and you need to flush it out yearly? Are you selling TGWH with the domestic hot water recirculation Pumps in the units? How are these units working? Any models giving the home owners the cold water sandwiche? In a house with two or three showers are you replacing the kids shower head and guest bathroom shower head from 2.5 GPM to 1.5 GPM? In homes that have a master shower system with the body sprays and rain shower head where the shower system can require 5-8 GPM are you installin two TGWH or are you using TGWH with a storage tank? Any problems venting with PVC pipe and fittings? I know the PVC pipe and fitting manufacturers do not recommend using their products to vent TGWH or boilers.