Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Altitudes with steamy attitudes:

icesailor
icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
Adding and following another discussion here on the wall, for the sake of a new discussion,

If you have a vapor vacuum steam system, at sea level, steam is generated at 212 degrees F, But with the perfectly working vapor vacuum system, as the vacuum increases, the boiling point drops because of the lesser pressure. If you moved the boiler and system to Denver, CO and ran it there, the water would boil at 194 degrees F. I would think that steam temperature in a steam system on Denver would have cooler steam than in New York city.

If you could install a steam system where the sun and moon aligned perfectly, and you could make and hold much lower vacuum pressures in the system, wouldn't it them be possible to control system tempertures and have them use less fuel by lower steaming temperatures? Much like ODR water systems?

I'm not talking practicality. Just theoretically. And wasn't that the idea behind vapor vacuum systems anyway? More work keeping a tight system but it is the concept.

Just idle wondering.

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    theory and practacality

in theory it makes sense...

I wonder what savings it would pose..... I remember a chart of how much energy it took to heat water to different temps, it was a graph that showed how much energy it took to heat 1ga from 50 to 60, to 70 to 80 to 90 to 100 and then it showed heating 2 ga to 100 vs heating 1 ga to 100, ect ect ect.. I looked for it a while back but couldnt find it, the first time I seen it was at a NORA class years ago...