Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell air vent

bob eck
bob eck Member Posts: 930
Can a Honeywell air vent if it goes bad can the vent actually suck air into the system instead of venting the air?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Sucking Pressures:

If the pressure in the system becomes negative (vacuum), any opening to the system will suck air. If the air elimination device has a cap and it is left open, and the pressure goes negative, it will suck air.

Fix the reason that the system goes negative and you will solve the air problem. Keep the caps tight.

Remember, the lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    air in, air out

pumping towards an expansion tank can cause low or negative pressure at an air vent location, seen in this drawing from "Modern Hydronic Heating" With a high head circ capable of enough delta P you can pull a negative pressure. both air and cavitation problems may occur.

Typically a float type air vent wants a +5 psi pressure to assure a tight shut off.

You can buy anti-siphon caps as a "fixer' or a means to confirm that air is being allowed in at the vent.

A hydroscopic cap is another nice addition for a second level of protection at the vent. If the needle valve shut off fails or gets dirt under it, the hydroscopic cal will serve as a second shut off. And they can be combined, the anti siphon (check valve) cap, and the hydroscopic.

Let me know if you need one to try, I believe the mip threads are common on vents?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Honeywell

Seems like there Spirovent look alike model fails from lack of venting within a year or two ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all