Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tom Schwarz has passed away

Tom Schwarz, owner of TGO Mechanical in East Northport, lost his battle with Melanoma on Friday, February 14 at about 5:30 am.

He was a friend to many who frequent this site and a true friend to the industry.

He served as a member of the Advisory Board for the HVAC/R program at Suffolk County Community College and actively participated in the educating and training of our industry's present and future technicians.

Tom was a true craftsman and, more importantly, a true gentleman.

To help promote research in the area of melanoma, Tom donated his body to science with the hopes that discoveries made with his gift will someday help save the lives of others.

He will be missed.

A memorial is being planned and details will be posted as they become available.
Eugene

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Tom always helped everyone.

He was a good man and a superb contractor. I will miss him. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    edited February 2014
    Tom

I met Tom at Viessmann in Warwick RI in 2006 and Eugene is correct,craftsman is the best way to describe him. He took great pride in his work and it showed!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    I have had many a

back and forth with Tom, he was always looking for answers and many times also helped me with answers. I will miss him and TGO Mechanical. Rest in peace my Brother.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Tom Schwarz

I met and re-met Tom at ,at least 6-8 classes over the years. He always had a smile and a handshake. He was a good guy.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Tom

I attended seminars at Wallace Eannace, Wales Darby and  Firedragon with Tom, real nice guy and very knowledgeable. Rest in Peace Tom
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    edited February 2014
    Was here today

Tom installed this in 1995. Ahead of his time,very few installing anything other than pin oil boilers in that day
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Glen_7
    Glen_7 Member Posts: 82
    Tom Schwarz

I was shocked to hear this. Tom installed some CI baseboard in my home last year and I called his office today about scheduling some more work. His wife informed me of his passing. He was a pleasure to deal with and a real craftsman.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    R.I.P.

Tom and I sat down to a few great dinners over the years. He was a man who noticed and appreciated the good things around him.

That's a good thing to be around.

May his soul rest in peace.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Oh my God.........

I am in total shock. I had no idea, but that's the way Tom was.....NEVER EVER! Complained, was as cool as a cucumber, totally confident yet humble. I am extremely upset......love ya Tommy Man....gonna miss taliking shop at the seminars and the cocktails that flowed freely afterward. the Industry has lost one of the finest craftsman EVER. im hurting man this really stinks mad dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Prof............please let his lovely know I am here to help

In any way. Any word on a service. Mad Dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Life is so precious ............

To quote and add on to what Dan always says: " hug your kids! ...and if you don't have kids hug your dog, cat, friend....who ever is precious to you. Damn I'm gonna miss the big bear of a fella. I had the UTMOST respect for this man's character, integrity, morals and craftsmanship. He gave sage advice and was an excellent , old-fashioned businessman. I can't remember the last time I shed tears like this, but I'm deeply affected. Mad dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    Hey prof..........

Lets turn this loss right back around. Lets start the Thomas Schwarz Outstanding Student Scholarship Award for the upcoming lads and lassies that come through the school. I'll do whatever it takes Eugene. This man Shall NOT be forgotten. Mad dog
  • Mad Dog_2
    I remember the first time we met........

Over 20 years ago......we were both more or less venturing out on our own.....going to every seminar we could to procure knowledge FAST! We would laugh when we saw each other, because it was a guarantee.....as I've said before, I'm glad Toms business wasn't right in my area......ha ha. He was one of Very very few guys (ron jr.) I could recommend as a replacement for me , especially with The Steam. Aww shucks enough blubbering...gotta leave for work. Miss you bro. Mad dog
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Huntington, NY

Is there anyone in the Huntington area who knows steam and can pick up one of Tom's customers? Is so, please email me at dan@heatinghelp.com. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Let's See it Happen

Let me investigate and see what needs to be done to get things rolling.
    Eugene
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    If I may make a suggestion...

Partner up with Mike ROwe, teh Dirty Jobs guy.

He has a web site called MikeRoweWorks.com

He has money to give to people who are interested in getting into the trades.

Check it out. Kudos to the two of you for taking the initiative to put this together.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.