Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low pressure steam, but long burner cycle

cdm
cdm Member Posts: 77
With the thermostat set-point @ 70 degrees - When my burner comes on, it will run for 25 to 45 minutes before shutting off. During the burner ON time the steam pressure will remain at zero (on a 0 to 15 oz gauge). The only pressure rise is when the steam reaches the header and I see short rise to 0.25 oz for a few minutes. After that the pressure returns to zero. Then when the burner turns off, the temperature is still at 70 degrees. Any thoughts on what the problem is?

thanks -cd mulford-

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    No Pressure Reading

Is the system keeping your house at 70 without any banging, hissing, spitting vents, short cycling or other steam problems then there is no problem other than maybe your boiler is slightly undersized.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Problem?

Sounds like there is no problem?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Problem?

What problem?  Sounds as though it's working just like it's supposed to.

If you are concerned about how long the burner runs... if it's keeping the house at your set temperature, that's how long it needs to run to get enough heat into the house.  It's been cold out there (-2 F as I type here!)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    just to be safe

have you tried to flood the boiler to check for a leak? I know of a few boilers that were sending up plumes of steam through the chimney yet still heated the dwelling just fine.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Hmmmmm

Two questions come to mind.

1. Has it always run like this or is this operation new?

2. Are you adding more ester than before?
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Hmmmmm

Two questions come to mind.

1. Has it always run like this or is this operation new?

2. Are you adding more ester than before?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Burner

As the others said if it's heating the house it's probably ok. Do you have to add much water? How often? That could indicate a leak.

It,s possible you need a little increase in the firing rate but longer cycles make for smoother operation as long as fuel consumption is normal for the house I would probably leave it as is.
  • cdm
    cdm Member Posts: 77
    Low press steam, but long burner cycle

Boiler does not leak - no white smoke from chimney. I normally have to add water weekly, when the sight glass goes down about a 1/2".

thanks -cd mulford-