Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ignition failures during warmer, especially humid weather

Gordan
Gordan Member Posts: 891
I've got a head-scratcher. Whenever there's a break in cold weather, but especially if it's a very humid day, I get E02 lockouts (five consecutive failures to light off) on the TT PS-60. In cold, dry weather, this is not an issue. Anyone else see anything like this?

For what it's worth, its MCBA type 5 has the known-to-be-suspect ignition transformer, the flat-topped one.

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    How Humid ?

Did you check for a proper ground...

When this happens are you checking the mv on the rod ?

I'd pull and clean the rods..Can the Gas regulator be "Hung Up"..Spiders/Cotton wood seeds in the Vent of the Regulator?

I've never seen this...But then again....It is never Humid here at 10 000' in Colorado..

With The MCBA version 1 we had problems which was fixed with the Power delay relay that was supplied by TT..... No problems with Version 5 ..

Maybe the Humid Combustion Air is applying Moisture the the rods which changes the conductivity of the sensing rod? You'd think that it would improve it...

Did you talk to TT about this?

Richard.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    edited February 2014
    Upwards of 80% RH to saturation.

A watched pot never boils, and I've sat next to the darned thing through many light-offs, all of them worked on the first try. The ground is good, electrode clean and correctly gapped. This can sometimes happen once or twice a day. Never when I'm around, and never ever ever when it's cold and dry outside.

EDIT: As for MCBA 5, there is/was a recall. http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/posts/10281/MCBA_Announcement_8022011.pdf
  • Derheatmeister
    Gas Regulator?

Sorry to hear..Can you swap out the MCBA ? I personally like to find the cause and do not like to just swap parts, but some times when you have electric boards you never know..Maybe even Static could have done something to the MCBA..

It is just very Frustrating that even if you register your Boiler with the "Green" Warranty Card they do not even feel somewhat obligated to make contact with the Installer and make them aware of a Problem ....(Reverse 911 call)...

Oh i forgot....That may cost them some Money...

Thank you for the Heads up on the "Recall"

Richard..
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Ugh, that MCBA...

....has caused me more grief throughout the years. Thank goodness it's gone away, save for the lingering installs.

Getting rid of it gets my vote, too.

Hi, Derheatmeister.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Derheatmeister
    Hi back

It was a pleasure meeting you at the AHR..Hope to meet again soon..

Richard.