Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is 0 pressure okay?

Options
mgmine
mgmine Member Posts: 58
I tried to adjust my presurtrol but nothing happened except the screw would fall off because I turned it down too low. So thinking that something was wrong and my 30psi gauge wasn't working I added a 0-3 psi Wika gauge. I removed and cleaned the pigtail as well as redoing the piping leading to the gauge. I filled the pigtail with water. The pressure still does not move a single bit, either on the new 0-3 gauge or the 30 psi gauge. I removed both gauges and blew into them to make sure that they were moving which they were. Should I be concerned?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Only

if you are losing water.  Otherwise, a steam system with decent venting, properly sized, will operate on practically no pressure at all -- a few ounces at most.

Annoying when those pressuretrols fall apart when you try to set them too low, isn't it?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Pressure

If the gauges work, the pigtail is clean, you don't have any leaks and the system heats well then I would say no noticeable pressure is a great thing.

I rarely see more than an ounce or two on my system and on warmer days the 3PSI gauge does nothing.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment