Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Original Equipment

This is from a visit to a Berkeley house earlier today. The boiler for the radiators is an ARCO (American Radiator Company), still plenty of them around since there are no moving parts, no electronics, no outdoor reset, no low water cutoff, no spill switch, no flame rollout switch, no NOTHING.

The water heater is probably one of the first "on-demand" units; made by Ruud. Maybe not as many of these still around, still see them from time to time; absolutely beautiful.

But I've never seen an ARCO Wand vacuum cleaner. It's a first for me.
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Early vacuum system

I just love these old systems.--central vacuum systems are not new.--NBC
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    That's a pretty...

... water heater.  I'm not so sure the plumber's tape will do much, but as the heater is probably around 80 years old and hasn't fallen over yet in earthquake country, it might not be a big deal.  Suppose that even though it's cast iron, it's a low mass heater.  I know... it's held up by the gas line!

Yours,  Larry
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Arco Wand

Here's the announcement when the Arco Wand first appeared in February 1912.
    Retired and loving it.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Wow!!

Is that vacuum cleaner still in service?

Rob
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Used to have the Ruud!!!

My prior 1905 house had one of those Ruud's. It generally worked pretty well, although sometimes there would be a blast of cold water in middle of one's shower! My current 1914 house was built with central vaccum although the actual vacuum had been removed iI recently bought a new one to install and still have the original hose and heads. I hope it works. I loved seeing the original. I also have a huge Arco coal boiler although it's only for back-up. thanks for this post. Is the vacuum still in use?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • ARCO Wand

I asked the owner if she uses the central vacuum system and she responded that she didn't know she had one. She said her housekeepers bring their own vacuum cleaners.

I'll check it out again my next time out.

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I could find it a home!

If she doesn't want it anymore, i could find it a happy home! do they still use the HW heater?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,977
    edited February 2014
    The HW heater

is still in use, otherwise I would have snagged it.

That one is the larger size and I'll bet it weighs 600 lbs.