Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrols

Options
Paul48
Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
      I find it amazing that they are still using the pressuretrols with the micro-switch in them. It is a horribly outdated technology. They are inconsistent, and unreliable.Using them in control circuits 35 yrs ago, they proved useless for repeatability.

I guess unreliable is a wrong description. They will shut the system off, at some point. With the technology today, why don't they use something else?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    One more improvement to be made

I wish they had tell-tale lights to show when the switch was open or closed, on all the safeties.--NBC
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,325
    Options
    That would be brilliant

and would save a lot of hassle.  Not that they couldn't be wired up easily enough, by someone who knew what they were doing, but one does wonder why they aren't standard (well, millivolt systems would be sort of a bear, but anything else...).

There are many times when I am very thankful for my wonderful old mercury switch vapourstat!

There are reasons for microswitches, however -- they are cheap, they are pretty reliable, and perhaps most important they can be used without modification on anything from millivolts to 120 vac.  Not that one can't make an all solid state switch which would do the same thing, but by the time you got done making it idiot and surge proof it would cost a good deal more than a microswitch.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England