Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton #2 capacity

jgs2nd
jgs2nd Member Posts: 10
How many Gorton #2s can be installed on an 1 1/4" pipe before it's overkill?

I'm venting over 150' of 8" steam main. However, the installer of the vent manifold found it easiest to add it at the end of the furthest branch drip (t'ing off of the 1 1/4" vertical pipe)

Currently, there are three Gorton #2s and a couple of old Hoffman 74s (with the vacuum checks removed) on there.

This main is one of two, this long, and tends to heat a little slower than the other.

At one time, I had purchased Mr. Gill's venting chart, but that was years ago.

Any help is much appreciated...

John

Comments

• Steve_175
    Steve_175 Member Posts: 238
    Venting

Pipes that big should probably be vented with a steam trap. A pro here will be able to tell you what type and size to get.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    is 1 1/4'' the size of the tapping in the pipe?

I don't recall testing that large, but what i would do is open the tapping to the atmosphere and time how long (or quickly) the steam gets to the mains end with an open pipe. Then install vents until i equal that time. The main would have to be allowed to cool down in between tests.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• jgs2nd
    jgs2nd Member Posts: 10
    Great idea...

The manifold is tee'd off the vertical 1 1/4" drip.

It's got 4 - 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 3/4" Ts. The 3/4" pipes rise way up in the ceiling with the vents on them....

Good idea to time the mains like that. The old two-pipe Webster system still runs pretty good (especially with the addition of a Tekmar 279 installed last fall). However, I'm having a little balancing issue. The building is "U" shaped, so there are two of these 150' mains. One side seams to be running a couple degrees cooler than the other.

Thanks for the suggestion.