Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dodge promaster van

tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
Anyone bought one of these yet. I am intrigued as to the loaded mpg of the gas one? Any input or reviews helpful

Comments

• Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Good Question

Tim,

I dont know the answer but I wanna add some questions to your post hoping someone will know:

1 How's the front wheel drive in the snow?

2 Whens the diesel option arriving?

3 How's it drive, like a E250 or like a sprinter? (big difference)
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • tim smith
    Re: some questions

Tom, they said the diesel comes this summer. I am sure the front wheel drive will be a plus for snow country.  I plan on driving one soon.
  • CapeCodOilGuy
    CapeCodOilGuy Member Posts: 43
    not impressed

I checked out the Promaster back in December. Right off the starting line I wasn't impressed by the interior "fit and finish." It is front wheel drive with a transverse-mounted engine and, I understand, a minivan transmission/transaxle. It that's actually the case-and I believe it is-I wouldn't place bets on its longevity. Granted, front-wheel drive is likely to be better in snow, though I've always owned rear-drive vans and, provided I used my head, rarely had problems. I ordered a Sprinter instead-loved the way it handled. I'm told that they're not so great in snow-one guy told me I'd be well advised to buy snow tires-we'll see. Anyway, the Promaster Diesel engine is an unknown quantity, whereas the Mercedes 3.0-liter V-6 has a great track record. Actually, the standard engine in the '14 Sprinter is an inline 4 twin-turbo, though I opted for the tried-and-true V-6. Hope to be getting it in hand in late March.
  • tim smith
    RE: Sprinter

I already own 5 Sprinters, the 2007 and forward v6 diesels have been problematic for me, especially the emmisions system. Look up DPC problems, leaf spring problem. ESP codes, etc etc. Check out sprinter user forum. Not going back to them after my latest expenses for repair.  RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    Me too

I purchased 2007 sprinter 3500 new.

All I can say is never again. Transmission, catalytic converter, constant problems back to the dealer 8 times in the first year.

Nobody even wants to work on them, Comfortable but if it don't start in the morning that means nothing.

I have heard the new ones are better but I just couldn't take the chance again.

I will be going back to ford from here on in.

Hoping the new Transit Will be a good truck.
  • Tom_133
    Sprinters!

I do believe at times its luck of the draw. I have had 3 sprinters and no major problems with any of them. I cant seem to find a van that can replace my sprinter. I have a ton of room, I can stand up in (im 6'2") I have 14' of cargo room to put in pipe. It gets 25mpg on the highway at 62mph in the summer, and it drives like a car.

Sadly though they are terribly expensive to maintain and when they break it takes a personal loan to fix but find me something today that can replace it? They are sorta like a Mod/Con in that way, you know they cost more upfront and much more efficient but when it breaks you wonder where the savings is, and you hope someone can fix it!!!
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    Were the ones you had

All later than 2007, The older sprinter seemed to be a much better truck From all the people I speak to.

I agree with you on cargo space, and is very comfortable, nice to drive.

I have to say though I don't know anybody that was happy with the 2007 and later models.

Except for the last year or so people are reporting having little or no trouble.

I am hoping the new ford Transit Will be equal to Or better as far as space and comfort is concerned.

I had an old one back in Late 80s early 90s in Europe to me they were the best.

After such a bad experience with the sprinter I am skeptical about buying the first model of

anything.

I would love to hear more comments on this.

But the sprinter broke my heart Averaging at least one day a month off the road.
  • Buy American

I've been really happy with my two year old Ford Box Truck,, no repairs, tons of room to stand up and great in the snow with four wheel drive, we've had nothing but snow up here this winter.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Tom_133
    Tough Choices

Sprinter: I've owned a 2003, a 2004 and currently a 2007. If I was to buy another one it would be a 2006 158" WB

If the Transit ever actually shows up I am going to have to seriously consider it. I love my diesel motors but due to emissions and how quickly they kill diesel motors I would probably go gas.

I have considered a truck with a box but they don't typically get the mileage or have the cargo space of a sprinter
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt