Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

coupling questions

Options
heatingFun
heatingFun Member Posts: 84
There are different descriptions about the coupling like the following. What are the differences?

1. 1" copper coupling with stop;

2. 1" copper C x C coupling with stop;

3. 1" copper pressure C x C coupling with stop;

4. 1" copper ring coupling;

Which one I should use for my hot water heating piping?

why the coupling without stop is more expensive than with stop?

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Couplings

Wow! I guess you're not a plumber. These are basic questions. Not trying to make you feel bad, but...........

You really shouldn't need any couplings if it's a new installation, but they are always good to have on hand in case of a boo-boo. Normal couplings are a dime-a-dozen; the ones without stops are more expensive because they are used less often and considered a speciality. At our (West Coast) supply houses, they are called, no-stop couplings or repair couplings and they are also good to have on hand in case of a boo-boo where you can't move either side of the pipe.

Your items #1, #2 and #3 are all a description of the same item and you can use any of them for your project. Item #4, I'm clueless.

Just a suggestion, you may want to pick up a couple of C x C sweat unions; whatever sizes you are using. They are not cheap, but it will become evident to you when you need them and how valuable they are as a time saver and a way to avoid frustration.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited February 2014
    Options
    #4:

#4 is just another term for #1, #2, and #3.

Also known as "Slip Couplings".

As far as the use of "repair couplings", I never left the shop without checking to see if I had couplings AND a few repair couplings. You just never knew when you might need one and NOTHING else will do. It was usually used when connecting into old work. You never know how handy they are until you really need one.

As a rule, if you have a house freeze up and a lot of splits, blow outs, and split baseboards, you can buy enough repair couplings to fix anything that might come along for less than the cost of one copper union. That you might accidently solder together is you don't have a proper technique for doing so. (Been there, done that)

If you're crawling along in a crawl space, and you come upon two couplings less than 6" apart and one doesn't have a ring or a dimple, it's probably a repair coupling.

Like clean underwear in your overnight bag. Don't leave home without it.