Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nest Or other Internet controlled.

Options
Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
A friend asked me about controlling heat over the net.

I have seen the nest thermostats but never installed and I know little or nothing about them.

It is a weekend home so he is not looking for anything too elaborate.

Can anybody advise me or Possibly give me a link.

Thanks in advance

Steve

If it was possible to have something email or call him if the temperature approached

freezing. He could then call the local plumber.

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    There are several options.

I like the Eco Bee. It has a touch screen thermostat and 4 communication wires to to an equipment control module where you wire in all your equipment.

It has all the internet capabilities and can send a text message if something is wrong.

Harvey
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    No Nest!

I hate them and their support!

Ecobee is harder to use than Honeywell but tells you a lot more online. Honeywell stats are so easy but you are limited to simple alerts, changes and programming online. The Focus Pro WiFi is a pretty low priced way to get remote access.
  • Limamikemike
    Limamikemike Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Ecobee

An other vote for ecobee smart, I have two in my place and they work great.

They also sell a lower line model called the smart si. It doesn't have the base module and wires up more like a conventional thermostat, not a touchscreen but still has 90% of the features of original one. The cost is about 2/3rds as much as the smart.

Stay away from the nest, they're now owned by google so it's probably spying on you......