Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Story of Chief Big Boiler and Cousin Little Pipe

Details of the system (and previous attempts at fixing things) can be found in the attached thread.

<a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/149174/Complete-System-Review-Two-pipe-System-plus-One-pipe-Counter-Flow-Extension">http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/149174/Complete-System-Review-Two-pipe-System-plus-One-pipe-Counter-Flow-Extension</a>

That said, after performing all of the following:

-capping the return lines which were piped incorrectly,

-skimming the boiler,

-installing main vents,

-replacing & putting multiple vents on some of the radiators,

-adjusting radiator pitch,

-changing some supply valves,

-setting the thermostat's Heat Rate Cycle to 1,

-adding a vaporstat with a low pressure gauge, and (running between .5 - 1.5 for now)

- adding insulation to the near-boiler piping

I have the system to the point where the noise level doesn't startle the neighborhood too much anymore. That said, its not without sacrifices:

- the kitchen radiator still clanks viciously. No effort was able to overcome the mis-sized (3/4") runout to it (... and possibly badly pitched as well). Good thing its furthest room from the bedrooms

- I have to keep the supply valve shut for a bathroom radiator due to the same reason, adding to the oversized boiler issue i have to begin with. (55,410.14 needed vs. 145,000 that the Weil-Mclain EG-50 provides)

- short cycling still occurs, especially during recovery mode since I keep it cold at night.

While i try to find alternate solutions to the short cycling, in regard to the clanking, i read somewhere that, given the narrow size of the pipe, venting the radiator vvvvery slowly theoretically might help a bit. The give & take there is that is a radiator that is further away so if things were ideal, preference would be to vent it a bit quicker.

any thoughts? Given the flaws with the system anything i do is essentially a patch/workaround until i'm prepared to break open the walls and re-pipe.

thanks

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    edited February 2014
    slow might help

I'd try the slow vents on the clankers, I think the maid o mist #6 is rated for 0.02CFM and you could probably slow it further by partially blocking the hole with a strand of wire. That might mean they don't heat like they should but maybe it will quiet them.

Next I would stop using a setback and just crack a window in the room you want to stay cool at night. I don't think your saving enough money to matter unless the temperature is turned down for days.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Clank Clank
    Clank Clank Member Posts: 30
    Setback

Thank you for the comments. Looking at the setback is certainly a thought. I didn't know enough about the savings to commit to making the change yet. I just posted another thread on the topic. thank you again. I'll follow your advise on the vent ... and let you know.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    ERROR

In my post above I suggested trying a Maid O Mist #6 because of it's small removable orifice. The #6 is not slow it actually has a 0.15" orifice.

I meant to tell you to use the Maid O mist #4 which does have the removable 0.028" orifice, the Hoffman 40 has a 0.04" orifice. I'm sorry if this led to any confusion.

Bob 
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Banging

Keeping your supply valves to some radiators closed can cause banging and spiting out of the vents.

Thanks, Bob Gagnoni
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.