Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how do I test a

HEATON
HEATON Member Posts: 117
trying to diagnose a cycling prob on gas burner utilizing a 1018 united tech. hot surface ign control . no seperat sensor. how is flame signal measured and whatis microamps needed to keep firing. thanks in advance John of Service Specialties Fame

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Repeated post:

I said before on another post.

The igniter becomes the flame sensor once the flame is established. If the igniter has a very small crack, it can give a reading that the controller thinks there is no flame. Or the control is bad and not sensing the proper resistance through the flame. I've never heard of anyone testing the sensors, just replacing them. They are almost always cracked if they are more than a few years old.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    There is...

a very specific procedure for checking how to check/verify local flame sensing (Ignitor being used as sensor) and Tim McElwaine outlines that procedure in the March 2001 publication of the ACHR News. Google it. I've kept a copy of it somewhere.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Sorry Tim

I misspelled your last name
    Steve Minnich
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Heaton that article should help you

out. I had forgotten that I wrote that back in 2001.

No apology needed on the spelling you should hear some people try to pronounce my name.

Then again some strange things do occur from posting here. A fella recently called me on the phone and wanted to know why I did not immediately answer his inquiry here on the Wall. He said " I am sure Mr Dan Hooligan (spelling) must pay you very well to be available to answer questions."
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Hooligan

" I am sure Mr Dan Hooligan (spelling) must pay you very well to be available to answer questions."

LOL