Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Loud noise during boiler start-up

Options
DaveB55
DaveB55 Member Posts: 21
I am once again trying to find the solution to the 'music' from our boiler. First a brief description: We have a six year old Weil Mclain model 1088 series 1 10 section cast-iron boiler W/ a Power Flame dual burner which we run strictly on 'gas' only. There is a small tankless heater installed on the side of the boiler which is used as baseboard heat for the basement apartment. It is a two-pipe steam system for residential heating. The boiler has always made this loud noise ( from inside, toward the bottom) at start-up only and it is much louder on the colder days. After speaking with the boiler installers and the technician at Weil McLain I was advised that we probably would need to install a 'Blanket'. I have never heard of this and since it is a costly ($2500.00) repair, I am not sure what to do.After talking to a couple of these guys I am presuming that this problem may have something to do with 'thermal shock' noises and that this would be a 'Thermal Insulator' of of some sort. If anyone has had experience with this problem and could shed some additional light or confirm this is the most likely cause for the problem I would appreciate hearing some advice. Thank you.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Noise

Has anybody ever verified the draft and combustion readings? Do I remember correctly, that there was an issue with the draft control?
  • DaveB55
    DaveB55 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Loud noise during boiler start-up

You may be correct, I am not sure if it was a draft issue. But anyway I think that is worth a try, and I can have this checked out. I will post an update after this is checked and thank you for your reply. We are a New Jersey based company and I have seen your 'new company' name change,(Thatcher Heating and Cooling) so in the event we need some work I will reach out to you.