Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One of a kind fireplace...

Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
Unique, and functional. The previous fireplace was an H shaped burner submerged in granular pumice. It was about as much fun as staring at the burner in an oven…

This one is mesmerizing… and generates some excellent radiant heat.

And it is safe. There is a remote draft inducer which is interlocked via a safety vent pressure switch. No fan, no fire.

ME
It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Is this in the Sleeper House?

just curious -- and where can we buy one?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Similar to?

An infrared patio heater Mark?

Is that Pyrex glass flue and does emit heat overhead also.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Yes....

Its the Sleeper house. And yes, it's an Italian patio heater set up for natural gas, but no, the upper glass doesn't emit much in the way of heat.

The upper glass is essentially creating a draft hood, and also avoiding sucking the warmest air out of the room by acting as a thermal dam.

I want to see it with all the internal lights off :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • knotgrumpy
    knotgrumpy Member Posts: 211
    Sleeper

As in Woody Allen's Sleeper?
  • Gordy
    edited January 2014
    Not real efficient

And not one of a kind, but my favorite out of four in my house.

Definitely radiates, and this is where I BBQ when it's -17.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Yes....

And I got to ride in the orgasmatron!

It's actually a unique elevator that goes between 4 different levels.

Here's the mechanical room that keeps the owners toasty warm when they're not sitting next to their fire tornado.

ME
  • Mark Eatherton
    Nice….

I wouldn't mind having one like that, if I had the place and the space.

ME
  • knotgrumpy
    I remember

That's the house you did that I've seen when I've been climbing out near Denver.

Pretty inspiring work you did there!
  • knotgrumpy
    Stonework

Did you do the stonework, Gordy?
  • M Lane
    M Lane Member Posts: 123
    edited January 2014
    Chrome diamond plate!

I'm lucky to get FRP up on my walls. Did do that work Mark? That is an awesome boiler room.

I assume then we are neighbors.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Thanks...

That was the last physical job I did as a contractor. It was quite fun. The owner owns WL Contractors. I am sure you've seen his trucks running around town. He considers himself an "Industrial artist", hence the rainbow of colors for the conduit running across the ceiling.

Yes, we are neighbors.

Here's what you see in his "Utility Room" when you turn 180 degrees from the boiler wall. Beam me up Scotty. There are no Dilithium Crystals down here… Just lots of di-hydrogen monoxide….

ME
  • Gordy
    Stone work

No not my work, but I did meet the mason that did the work.

You go out the door to the right and there is a twin to this one outside sharing the same chimney chase.
  • Gordy
    Mark

Got a name/ manufacturer of that fireplace?
  • Mark Eatherton
    I think it was Italian….

Lavazza or something like that. There are numerous manufacturers of this type of heater. If you Google radiant patio heaters, and look at the images, you will find one.

He basically took it out of its cage/tank base and re-assembled it in it's current form/location. All critical components (except for cage) are there.

ME
  • Gordy
    edited January 2014
    In action

Dinner time

Okay I give up the pic was right orientation when uploaded??
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    I wondered about the Pic.

Could the cocktail next door to those steaks be implicated??:)