Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Local Law 87 Steam Balancing

Dave_S
Dave_S Member Posts: 1
My question is in reference to Local Law 87, which requires NYC buildings over 50,000 SF to have an energy audit and retro-commissioning performed every 10 years. The law requires:

"HVAC distribution balancing. All major systems that include chillers, boilers, cooling towers, air handlers, or pumps, must be tested for proper balance for current facility requirements. A major system as used in this subparagraph means a system that serves more than 10,000 square feet. If the system is found to be out of balance, the condition must be corrected and noted on the retro-commissioning report. System balancing may only be performed by an individual certified in the testing and balancing of HVAC systems by the National Environmental Balancing Bureau (NEBB), the Testing, Adjusting and Balancing Bureau (TABB), or the Associated Air Balance Council (AABC)"

It seems that steam distribution systems should be included in this law for all those old steam heated buildings in New York. I contacted NEBB, TABB, and AABC; however, none of them publish literature defining what is considered a balanced steam system or what is an accepted balancing methodology.

Is anyone else in the HeatingHelp community working on LL87 projects and if so, how have you handled this issue? Does anyone have suggestions?

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    out of date

Modern control systems often don't depend on balancing. If each steam heating terminal is thermostatically controlled what would you like to balance?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Retro-commisioning

could be one of the best things that ever happened to a lot of the buildings I've seen.  I suspect I'd double my business in no time.
This discussion has been closed.