Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need a little information

Hey wet heads this is the ole man from deep south and I need a little information

I am laid up and trying to help out a friend. He has a heat maker model 130HWNAT boiler and I need to make sure of the size he has a little over 4000 sq ft and the unit has heated the building quite well when it works, but for the last few years it has given them a ton of problems and want me to replace the boiler. I cant leave the house because of my medical problems but they want me to install them a new boiler and I just want to make sure of the size so I can g a head and order one. Any help would be great6ly appreciated.

PEACE BE WITH YOU

David C. Broome

PS I think its a 130k BTU but not sure if that's input or output 

Comments

• Heatmaker

Start with heat loss calc's for the house. If it's anywhere between 80 and 120,000 BTU's, my choice would be a Prestige Excellence as long as they would be happy with 3.5 GPM of DHW. If they need more, use a Prestige Solo Trimax with whatever size indirect is suitable.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    HTP

Versa Flame  or Versa Hydro . Flame is a boiler with  Plate HX for DHW , 130K will easily do 3.2GPM . Versa Hydro is a water heater with 100 K Space heating capability . Both are comparably priced with the heatmaker .  Hope all goes well .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    The math works out

To 22 btu per square foot per hour. Can't tell you if it's right or wrong without a loss calc, but it sounds reasonable for here in Denver.

Get well soon big guy.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited December 2013
    need a little

Good Morning to you David. How  did the boiler work OK for X amount of years ,and then not so good for the past couple of years? Just mechanical problems?
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    the jelly beans

the Dr's have us eat after an operation do funny stuff like when your feet take off in some other direction while walking... i was like

' Hey ! come back here you ! '

i ate a plastic fork tine while hammering down some New York steak on sale at 50 percent off and 50 % off of that price at like 2 a.m.

16000 $ later...

they hadn't found the tine buh assured me i didn't have cancer lol..

man that hurts when i think about it any way , speedy recovery and steer away from stairs lol.. because them sideways pills or whatever they are are Brutal.!!

*~//: )
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    David...

you obviously don't have the time to do a proper heat load calculation. For the sake of time and simplicity (also based on customer feedback) lets assume a proper one was done. At a minimum, I would ask the customer to measure up the connected baseboard, then assume 500 btuH/linear foot, then add for the efficiency of the appliance you are using (82, 86 or 95%) and use that as a sizing guide.

As others have asked, was it also doing DHW or any other loads? If yes, it may have been oversized for the DHW load, which in your part of the country os probably the bigger of the two loads.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.