Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting oil burner to gas burner questions

Hi,

I have a 4 unit apartment building heated by a steam boiler with an oil burner. I am thinking with gas prices being so cheap compared to oil,  of just converting the burner from an oil burner to gas burner.

My plumber gave me a price for the labor, and he asked me to buy the burner myself. He said I needed one that can carry 75,000 BTUS? Does that make sense for this size building?

What brand of burner is suggested? I have a Riello presently.

Thanks in advance for help.

Jamie

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    What kind of boiler is it?

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I get the impression that certain burner-boiler combinations work better than others.

If you don't get a response here, try re-posting this question in the Gas Heating forum or the main wall.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    call boiler and burner manufacturers

Homeowner here...but this is what I did when getting a gas conversion burner to go with my new SF TR50s. First off, call the boiler manufacturer to find out if that's possible, safe or does it void any warranties. Be aware that other things on the boiler may need to be changed because of it. For example, one of my risers needed to be upsized for the gas burner.

Slantfin tech dept told me what brand burners they see used, but said not to limit myself to those. Then I called all the burner manufacturers, gave them my boilers' specs and they told me which ones I could use. Again, speak to the Tech dept. That said, I notice many folks here use the EZgas as I believe you can use it for BOTH gas and oil, thus giving one the option of easily changing back if the situation changes. It's noisier than some others, but you're already used to the oil burner sound. This was for a power burner, so I'm not sure with an atmospheric. It's best to call.

I'm sure the pros will pipe in if they recommend a different approach.

What make is your boiler?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • lindall
    lindall Member Posts: 2

I have a Smith Boiler. I am guessing it is ten years old.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Smith

I have a smith G8 boiler that has an EZ Gas burner on it that was installed last year. What model Smith do you have?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.