Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

sandy revisited

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
Hi all.So we are a few weeks into heating season.So far I have had to repipe four boilers that were installed by a large company that came to everyones rescue(and not at a cheap price).I know the situation was hard ,getting boilers,parts etc but what I am seeing is a complete disregard for the victims.A question to all you get rich quick plumbers,why not answer the peoples calls come back and do the right thing.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Fly by nighters

It's just a sad fact that vultures follow natural disasters as sure as the sun rising in the morning. The shame is it brings condemnation down on all the hard working tradesmen that do a great job day in and day out.

i don't know how they can look at themselves in the mirror.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    i don't know how they can look at themselves in the mirror.

I know. You are just not up on your vampire history.

Vampires cannot see themselves in a mirror.
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    i'll bite

. . . what kind of piping problems.  not getting primary secondary right or are these steam or . . . seems like it was mostly ranch/shore houses that got a salt water bath.  can't imagine that the piping could be that complicated.

brian
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Wrong Email

Johnny that E mail is dmcgrath , I believe I typed it wrong in my PM.
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Sandy

Are you talking about the Rapid Repairs Program? Or privately contracted repair work?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • jonny88
    complicated?

Brian,I understand where you are coming from but I had 2 baxi repairs.they combined 3 zones into 1 and used internal circulator and no p/s.Not complicated but I hate to think they screwed these jobs up intentionally.I finished a PVG install last night.A local licensed plumber did the work.3/4 pex to indirect and all pex piping on boiler,also no mixing valve on radiant.I am not sure John about naming names here but the company you mentioned are certainly guilty.Rich,I will email you later,I think your suggestion is very good.Happy Thanksgiving all.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I didn't name any company.

Rapid Repairs is the program implemented by FEMA to put boilers, water heaters and electric in affected homes at no cost to the homeowner.

It involved hundreds of contractors, both local and national.

So, I'm curious to know if you're talking about private contract work or work done under FEMA.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Sandy

We did work for a small handful of homeowners affected by Sandy. Our other bids got beaten on price, or sent off to out-of-state contractors hired by the insurance companies.

NJ is stronger than the storm? Maybe, but only by outsourcing cheap Texas and South Carolina companies to rebuild our state for us. So much for state pride and supporting your neighbors! Now we'll be even busier restoring all of these "restorations".
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited November 2013
    The Guy In The Mirror

When you get what you want in your struggle for self and the world makes you King for a day then go to the mirror and look at yourself and see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't a man's Father or Mother or Wife whose judgement upon him must pass, the fellow whose verdict counts most in his life is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the fellow to please,never mind all the rest,for he's with you clear up to the end,and you've passed your most dangerous difficult test ,if the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like "Jack Horner" and "chisel"a plum and think you're a wonderful guy, but the man in the glass says you're only a bum, if you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the world down the pathway of years and get pat's on the back as you pass, but your reward will be heartaches and tears if you've cheated the guy in the glass.
  • jonny88
    I do apologize john

Thanks for explaining that to me.So how did Fema pick and choose as to who were doing the installs.Was there a special criteria to get on there list.I am talking mainly about private work that was done but have come across a block in the rockaways that was done by rapid repair which we are going to repipe a few boilers.Thanks for the clarification
This discussion has been closed.