Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

relief valve/skimming port/additives

Burnham Independence IN5 . . . I decided to do the relief valve / skim viewport / and additive port in one fitting. The discharge pipe usually lives on the relief valve. The picture is probably self explanatory. I just don't know if there are any problems or cautions with this setup. And this is pretty much the only place that would know :-)

Comments

• Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Or

you can use the 1" skim tapping on the right side of the boiler using standard practices.
  • rmoore007ri
    rmoore007ri Member Posts: 45
    good idea

Thank you. The installer did not add a skimming port. I had seen them reconfigure the "Safety relief Valve" port to do that.

I've done a little more manual reading and now find there is a 1 inch factory plug in the "Surface Blow-Off" tapping. It is a little lower than the safety valve tapping. Sure wish those folks had done this properly. This might also be a better tapping (larger) to use for things like a Steamaster tablet. But nothing is happening over the holiday. Because we know that on holidays nothing can go wrong go wrong go wrong go wrong :-p
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Definitely better.

Apart from the larger size, it's also at the right level. If you use the relief valve port you always need to lower the water level when you're done.

But don't neglect the relief valve port. You should test your relief valve at least once a year and make sure it doesn't fill up with sludge.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.