Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need advice on TSV for 1 port steam

Options
Hello,

I have a three story townhouse and need help balancing the heat in my house. There are 6 radiators (one port steam), with two on each floor. The first floor has the only thermostat in the house. Right now the rooms on the second and third floor could use more heat while the first floor gets too warm. I was thinking about adding thermostatic air vents on all of the radiators, but read the floor with the thermostat shouldn't have a TRV. The first floor have adjustable air vents (holes on the top with 1-10). If I get a fixed vent on the first floor then TRV's on the second and third floor will this help balance the heat in my house?

I've seen a few different TRV's from Honeywell, Danfoss, and Macon. The Danfoss and Macon are significantly more expensive but have Vacuum breakers. I'm not sure I fully understand the benefits of the vacuum breaker, but want to know which units you guys usually recommend. Thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Balancing 3 floors

Check your main vents, first and max them out. Put the dials of the radiator adjustable vents on the lowest setting at first, and try that.

Is your thermostat set up for steam?--NBC
  • dougw03
    dougw03 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the advice

I turned one of the valves and the knob cracked in my hand. It looks fairly straightforward to change it out though. How long should I have my system off before I change the valve?

Also, yes my system is set to steam.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    1 Pipe Steam TRVs

Hi- You can buy replacement knobs at most heating supply companies. That's a much easier way to go (cost /hassle)  than to replace the valve.

Attached is a pdf I put together on 1 Pipe steam TRVs. When comparing different makes price wise be sure to check what is included. Macon TRVs come with the vent and on Danfoss, the vent is extra.

- Rod
  • dougw03
    dougw03 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks

Your link was very helpful. What do you think about http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-V2043HSL10-1-8-One-Pipe-Steam-Thermostatic-Radiator-valve-includes-air-vent . It doesn't look like it has a vacuum breaker, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work with 1 pipe systems.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    1 Pipe Steam TRVs

Hi- While I've seen them around I don't have any experience with the Honeywell though I imagine they must have a vacuum breaker of some kind if they're going to work for 1pipe steam. Note that the actuator is extra. I have both Macon & Danfoss TRVs which are about equal quality though I would give a slight edge to the Macon. Try the one of the Honeywell and either the Macon or Danfoss and see which one you like the best.

Keep in mind that TRVs just control overheating, they don't increase heat in cold rooms.

In your situation I would decrease the venting in the downstairs rooms as this would make more steam available for the upstairs.  You may also want to take a look at your main venting as it sounds as though your radiators may be sequentially heating. With sequential heating, the radiators closest to the boiler get steam first and then as steam moves through the system, the radiators on the second floor and then the third.  What you want is for the steam to reach the end of the steam mains before it starts entering the radiators. That way all the radiators receive steam at the same time.   With sequencing, the radiators on the first floor get steam first which heats the room that the thermostat is located in. Its setting satisfied, the thermostat then shuts off the burner before the radiators on the second floor receive the steam they need.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.