Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler options

Options
Looking for options on the current Oil Boiler. It is a Burnam and 15 years old. It is vented into a chimney after about a 12 foot under slab flue.The flue is wasted and they would not even clean it. I can vent out the back side of house with a Field Power vent. But i was considering of converting to a high efficeint LP boiler. Natural gas is not available.I have a domestic loop, but also connected in electric hot water heater to idle the boiler over the summer months when heat is not needed. I have a heat pump for the should months, and a nice harman pellet insert. Just looking for some back up heat. Thought about just adding some electric baseboard and getting rid of oil boiler all together. Just looking for some input. I have a two story colonial with about 3000 SF.

Comments

• HomeOwner1
    HomeOwner1 Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Combi Boiler is an option

A combi boiler is an option.

Triangle Tube, Navien, etc.

You can run PVC right up the existing chimey and run off Propane versions.

I have one in a bigger home and it runs well with a Navien. Plus it is less expensive for some models and less infrastructure to maintain.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Energy rates

I think you need to take a hard look at your local rates. Here is a great calculator www.eia.gov/neic/experts/heatcalc.xls‎

My guess is that the pellets are by far the cheapest fuel you have. Propane and electricity are closer in price in many markets than most people perceive.

I would start with the local rates and design from there.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.