Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New WM97+ Condensing Boiler install ?

Danscrew
Danscrew Member Posts: 130
Just installed a Weil Mclain WM 97+ 110 condensing boiler in my ranch style home. My questions are should I run it with the primary secondary valve open or closed or throttle it ? Running it open now  It seems like the return water is  mixing with the primary loop and not giving me a cold enough return. Around 130 degrees to keep the boiler in condensing mode for best efficiency. I am running 2 zones with Taco 007 pumps the internal pump is set to low.The first floor is recessed cast iron radiators with a one pipe monaflow system the basement is copper finned baseboard If anyone is familiar with this boiler model and can help me set it up to run more efficiently I would greatly apeciate it thanks Dan     if I left out any thing let me know  

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Valve

That's something that your installer should set depending on how the system is designed and piped. It definitely should not be "throttled". It's not something you adjust or toy with.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Danscrew
    I'am the installer

Looking for someone with experience with this type and make Boiler. Thanks Dan
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited November 2013
    Primary secondary

In a primary secondary piping should not need to throttle valves if circs are properly sized.

You say you are the installer, but are you a qualified installer?

Not trying to be rude just feeling out knowledge base.

What are you calling primary the boiler loop, or heating loop?

Usually primary is the loop the expansion tank is located which could be at the boiler loop, or heating loop.
  • Danscrew
    WM 97+

Hello Gordy

My knowledge base is 32 years as a Operating Engineer in NYC we operate all the HVAC Systems in  High Rise Buildings in Manhattan. In my line of work the loop that is being circulated throughout the Building is the secondary.I have  never worked with a Mod/Condensing boiler I was looking for someone that has installed this make and model.And has some trial and error experiences. As I learn more about this system my best bet would be to install circulators that can be slowed down to get a better delta T. For now I'm going to lower my max hot water to 160 degrees with a 0 degree OAT to make it more efficient to see if that works. I just installed this system two weeks ago so I'm watching it to see how it operates And trying to get it to run in the most efficient way. and thanks to this board and people like yourself that will happen thanks again for your reply.

Dan 
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Valve

That boiler has a fire tube heat exchanger which has a very low head loss. In some installations, it can be piped without pri/sec, but that depends on how the system is designed and piped. The valve allows the installer to choose based on the piping arrangement of the system and some calculations of the necessary flow required for the boiler as well as the system. Thus, without knowing the particulars of your system, there's no way to tell which way it should be set.

If you could post some pics or a piping diagram with some specifics like heat loss, pipe sizes, type of emitters, circ sizes and location, then it would possible to advise how the valve should be set. You may also find your piping arrangement in one of the diagrams in the I&O manual and find the answer from that.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Danscrew
    WM 97+ Install Pic

Here is a pic of my install 
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    most all of that looks good ,

i am a bit curious about things i cannot see.

and one question comes to mind , are the circs the injection bridges to the ssecondary Loops that are like 2 " or so ?
  • Danscrew
    What

Nothing here is 2 inch not sure what you are talking about.  Dan
  • Danscrew
    What don't look good

When you say Most of that looks good you have to say what doesn't.  Dan
This discussion has been closed.