Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help balancing my system!

hi
hi Member Posts: 31
just replaced radiators on first floor with "cast ray" radiators and thermostat is on first floor, second floor has 38" tall column radiators, when thermostat is satisfied 2nd floor is still cold! so what would be a better solution:

1. put gorton #D on the upstairs radiators and #4 and #5 downstairs, or

2. put vents on the top of the 2nd floor risers and leave the radiators with small vents

in other words whats better venting the risers or the radiators??

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Very slow and fast

I would try Gorton #4 or on the  downstairs radiators the tstat is sensing and a D on the upstairs radiators.

If that gets the upstairs radiators hot then you can figure out what sizes work best and then look at venting the risers fast and the upstairs radiators slower. I remember a post from a few years back where someone tapped the bonnet of a radiator valve so they could mount a vent on it, that might be easier tan adding a nipple and tapping it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • base ray???

Base ray?? Meaning what... cast iron baseboard??
  • hi
    this

this is the radiator im using

http://www.ocsind.com/cast-ray.php
  • Cold 2nd floor

Why not put the thermostat up on the second floor? Choose the coldest part of the house.

Make sure your venting is generous.--NBC
  • hi
    Thanks!

thanks everyone for your help!! this site is amazing!!

i bought the chart now i guess i need to start doing my math. 
  • hi
    re:

because im the landlord and live on the first floor there is a tenant on the second floor!
  • Putting the thermostat where it counts

The Honeywell visionpro will enable you to put a sensor on the second floor, but enable you to have the control. In my 55 rad system, with 7 units,I have the sensor in the coldest wing so as to anticipate the drop in temperature, while I have the control.

Check your main venting.--NBC
This discussion has been closed.