Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stainless steel Leaking Indirects

Hvac tech_2
Hvac tech_2 Member Posts: 21
Is there a stainless steel indirect that doesnt leak after a couple of years. I had switched to Lochinvar Squire but had a leaker after 2 years. The Buderus that looked like the boiler seemed the most reliable to me. Lochinvar told me that it probably was just a bad weld or glass coating. I always come off all tank connections with brass first then switch to copper or black on the boiler in and out. Domestic side brass to copper then pex. Exspanion tank.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    SS indirect...

water heater don't have a glass coating. I have started using the Weil Mclain Aqua-plus water htrs. They have an anode rod in them to combat  w/ the corrosion process.

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-mclain/pd-aqua-water-heaters/
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    I have installed.....

several hundred Triangle Tube Smart series indirects and have never had one leak...

several Super Stor indirects and have never had one leak....

a few Crown indirects and have never had one leak...

years ago (about 15-20) Amtrol had a design flaw and we had almost all leakers after a few years on their WH-7P... they re-designed their coil, and paid labor to replace... was good about it and I continued to install them until the digital smart controls all died due to internal relays that failed... Very few covered under warranty... moved over to TT and haven't looked back.

I like them as their a tank within a tank, not a coil and have very low pressure drop.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Read the directions...

I apparently missed the part about making sure to put a potable expansion tank on when you are on a city service, or if there is a check valve between tank and house expansion tank. So when that 80+ lbs hammers on and off when a valve is turned off and on in the house it apparently destroys the seals on the PLUS tanks or tank within the tank design. I found that out the hard way. They still warrantied it but you only get one replacement.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
This discussion has been closed.