Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Repl. Angle Rad Valve for 1-Pipe?

Options
My third floor is a finished attic (MIL Bedroom) and when we bought the house, the sunrad had been removed and the section of the main in the basement had been re-piped to bypass that riser.  We found out last winter that her room is cold (surprise!) and I found a replacement sunrad that fits for a song, so I'm getting that prepped and going to install it and re-activate the riser.  The original valve is still in place, but the spud is gone!  Must be with the original radiator in a landfill somewhere.  FWIW, the riser is 1" pipe up from the main in the basement, so +/- 23 ft of run, which includes the lateral off the main to the stud cavity.  I suspect I'm near/at/past the limit for the recommended use of 1" dia pipe, but since it's already there I'd rather use it.

Knowing that steam isn't a well-served industry these days, where should I be looking for a new valve? 

TIA

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    SB ok

The table in Lost Art of Steam Heating says a 1"  pipe on a run without a drip is good for an EDR of 28; if I recall a Sunrad has 2.25 EDR per section. Any horizontal portion of the pipe should have a slope of 1/2" per running foot. pexsupply.com has radiator valves for a reasonable price, check the dimensions to make sure it will fit.

Bob 
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • eclark
    eclark Member Posts: 33
    Options
    I forgot to mention

It's hooked up to a big a$$ 20 section sunrad.  I don't have LAOSH in front of me but I think I'm more like 45 sf of EDR at that size!
This discussion has been closed.