Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Heater - Boiler question

A friend has an empty house with no hot water being used.  Is it better in this case to turn the heat setting way down and leave it on, or put on the gas shutoff and maybe drain the water?  I was thnking that even with the gas turned off the tank might rust less if the anode rod was doing it's job, which I guess it would't in a tank filled with air. Right now turning it on isn't an option since all his copper pipe was stolen, but he does plan on replacing it soon with PEX.

Thinking about that led me to wonder why steam boilers don't have an anode rod(s) in them, since they are a similar water heating device?  Thanks for you insights .

Comments

• ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    no pipes

if there is no pipe, what is the water heater heating if it is on?
  • Bill_110
    Bill_110 Member Posts: 52
    Water heater no piping

The pipe was connected until being stolen a couple of days ago.  Even so I'm not sure why or if my friend should have had it on at all since he hasn't occupied the place for quite a while.  When he replaces the pipe he still won't be occupying the place anytime soon, thus my question about what to do with the water heater - gas shutoff and drained,  gas shutoff and water left in etc.? (He will have his boiler on a low setting once the water supply is restored)
This discussion has been closed.