Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

newbie needs help

Okay I am totally new to having a boiler. Just bought a house thas about 100 plus years oldand went to turn on the heat the other day and about 15 min later I find my basement looking more like a sauna. Here is a little backround to the story. We found this house and after we put our bid in someone broke in and stole some of the copper. The guy we bought it from had a team of contractors staying here after that till we closed. They replaced the copper. I talked to the contractors one day and they mentioned that whoever stole the copper never turned off the pump so that got replaced to. So now I am having a prob with the heat and I start checking things out. I bled the lines and fired it up again it starts out about 15 psi and starts climbing once the temp gets about 140 the pressure is at almost 30 soon after the valve will pop and there is where the steam comes from. One thing that is confusing me is the pump which is towards your the bottom of the boiler has a flow arrow pointing up which leads to the valves for my 4 zones. But the valves all have arrows pointing down. Could this be the problem? Which one is right?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited September 2013
    A picture..

Could you post a picture of what you have along with the boiler model?

Is there an expansion tank in your system?

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • timberwolf77
    timberwolf77 Member Posts: 6
    model

Utica 175AGB yes there is an expansion tank.
  • Zman
    Backwards

The circulator should be pumping the other way. You should be able to close the green handled gate valves and just flip the circulator over.

I kind of doubt that is causing the pressure to rise that high. I think you have a waterlogged expansion tank. As the temp in the closed system rises the water has no place to expand and the pressure rises.  If you tap on the tank , is it full of water?

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • timberwolf77
    pump

Yep pump was definitly backwards. Changed it and now pressure stays good. Runs fine. Too bad they did just as bad with the pipes. Found 2 pipes crossed only half the house gets heat.
  • timberwolf77
    exspansion tank

Tank sounds fine. Hollow at the bottom.
  • Zman
    edited September 2013
    Glad to here

The circ, expansion tank and the pressure is good.

What is up with the pipes?

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • timberwolf77
    pipes

Yep everything else is working good. When the copper pipes were stolen and the contractors replaced them they crossed 2 of the lines to 2 zones. So there was 2 pipes supplying the same zone and 2 returning the same zone. I just got done fixing that now and everything is heated nicely. Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.